The village of Dromcollogher is nine miles south-west of the town of Charleville. Dromcollogher is the meeting point of the R519 from the north, the R515 from the east and the R522 from the south. Dromcollogher was first recorded in the Book of Leinster in 1160 and Westropp includes a reference to Drumcollechaellor in 1201. In ancient times Dromcollogher and the parishes of Kilmeedy, Feenagh and Ballygran were grouped together in an area called Corcomohide.
The official spelling of the name is Dromcolliher, although locals use Dromcollogher. The placename is also spelt Drumcollogher. The name is derived from the Irish 'Drom Collachair' which means "the ridge of the hazel wood".
Dromcollogher grew in the 1640s when the Courtenay family came to the area to plant the lands they had received following the defeat of the Munster Geraldines by the English in 1583. The diamond in the town centre serves as a reminder of the plantation origins of this town. Today the town is renowned as the home of a world famous Dresden porcelain factory, established here in 1962.
Broadford was formerly known as the parish of Killaliathan or Killagholehane. Broadford is a relatively new village and was first recorded in the maps of 1837. The area grew as the village of Broadford began to prosper in the first half of the nineteenth century. The village is eight miles from the town of Newcastle West and is the meeting point of the R515 from the west and the R579 from the south. Broadford was originally called Béal an Átha which means "the ford mouth".
The Ó Coileáins once ruled all the lands that encompass Broadford and the parish of Kilkeedy. After the Norman invasion, the land came under the control of the Fitzgerald family, the Earls of Desmond.
The seat of power in the area was at Springfield Castle. It was historically referred to as Gort na Tiobraid Castle. It is now under the ownership of Lord Muskerry whose forefather; Sir Robert Tilson Deane became the first Lord Muskerry in 1781.
A local tradition surrounds Glenacopple Wood. According to the tale, a woman was thirsty during the saving of a crop of hay. She went into the nearby church in Killagholehane and drank some of the consecrated wine. For this, she was ordered to plough out the glen with two white horses. It is claimed that she stills haunts the glen, which is called Gleann na gCapall (the Glen of the Horse).
Percy French wrote a song called 'There's only one house in
Dromcollogher'. A plaque erected on a wall of a house in the Town Square where
Percy French stayed commemorates this.
The present day church in Dromcollogher was built under the leadership of Fr Michael Fitzgerald in 1824. Fr Fitzgerald acquired the site from a local landlord Mr Staveley. The church is dedicated to St Bartholomew. Renovations were carried out in 1861 by Fr Patrick Quaid. Further renovations were carried out in the 1950's and the 1990's.
The side walls of the nave of this church are very unusual in that they are constructed of glass. This glass has been engraved with both religious and secular scenes, including scenes from the life of St Bartholomew, as well as locally relevant scenes.
To the left of the entrance to the church grounds, a large Celtic cross has been erected. On a Sunday evening, 5th September 1926, William 'Baby' Forde hired a room from Patrick Brennan in the centre of Dromcollogher. He had intended to show two films in this make shift cinema. However, disaster struck when, during the showing, a roll of film was set on fire from the flame of a candle. The fire spread resulting in the deaths of 46 people, with two more dying later in hospital. The unfortunate victims were buried in the churchyard in a communal grave. This Celtic cross was erected as a memorial to the victims of this tragedy. A library has since been built on the site of the fire and a commemorative plaque erected to mark the tragedy.
There is a large Crucifixion scene in the grounds of the church, as well as a statue of the Sacred Heart.
Within the church, on the left, there is a statue of St Theresa of Liseux, donated by Kitty Fitzgerald. There is a statue of St Joseph on the right. In the left transept of the church, there is a stained glass window of the Sacred Heart, donated by Mrs Toomey in memory of her parents and her husband. There is also a stained glass window of the Holy Child of Jerusalem in this transept. A plaque states that David O'Leary Hannigan and Mary of Kilbolane, Milford Co. Cork, donated the apse, stained glass window, and niche to the Holy Family, in memory of George in 1906.
On the right of altar, there is a statue of the Sacred Heart. William Pearse, father of Padraig Pearse and William Pearse, donated the statue of Mary on the left.
The stained glass windows behind the altar were donated by O'Leary Hannigan. They depict (from left to right) St David, Mary, the Sacred Heart, and St Catherine.
There is also a stained glass window of St Patrick in the right transept, donated in memory of Patrick Q. Hannigan and Mrs Hannigan. A statue of the Pieta has been erected here, and according to a nearby plaque, the Pieta and niche are in memory of John Gleeson, who died on September 22nd 1901. The stained glass window of St Joseph, also in this transept, was given by Patrick O'Sullivan, Shessure.
A statue in the porch of the right transept depicts the death of St Joseph, while the statue in the left hand porch depicts the Holy Family.
The Stations of the Cross are dedicated to the memory of Dorcas Mary Aherne, who died in October 1895.
The stained glass window at the back of Dromcollogher church is in memory of John Murphy of Tullig, who died on October 13th 1905.
Buried within the church is:
Parish Priest for 33 years
Died August 25th 1876
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Parish Priest for 16 years
Died on 23rd June 1917
Aged 72 years
Archdeacon Hugh O'Connor
Died on 25th March 1972
James Canon Foley
P.P. from 1936-1946
John Canon Reeves
Parish Priest for 9 years
Died February 5th 1936
The church in Broadford was built in 1844 to accommodate the rising population in the area. Local historian Seamus Ó Súilleabhán believes that this church was preceded by a Mass house located at the site of his premises in the village from around the 1820s. The church itself is built from limestone, which was quarried locally. Fr Quaid added the belfry to the church in 1856. Further renovation work was carried out on the church in 1985/86.
There is a statue of the Sacred Heart in the grounds of the church on the left. The Crucifixion scene is on the right of the church. An inscription on the belltower reads "P. Quaid 1856".
Inside the church, there is a statue to the left of the altar of the Blessed Virgin, and a statue to the right of the altar of St Theresa, in memory of John Connors.
The stained glass windows behind the altar depict St Anthony, The Passion, and St David. David MacMahon donated these windows in memory of David and Johanna MacMahon, in 1903.
Prior to the building of Dromcollogher church, an ancient church existed here in the Tuath of Corkomoyd. However, Begley believed that this church was burned down in a war in 1302.
This church was replaced by St Bartholomew's church, the ruins of which can now be seen across the road from the present day church in Dromcollogher. Dromcollogher graveyard surrounds the ruin.
According to an entry in the Munster Journal of January 3rd 1751, there was also a Mass house in the area.
Occasionally referred to as Killaliathan church, Killagholehane church, is situated in Killagholehane graveyard. The name is derived from the Irish Cill Acha Liatháin, which means "the church of the field of O'Leehane". According to legend, one of the Uí Liathain (O'Leehane) women wanted to establish a church but did not know the best site for her church. She prayed to God for a sign that would help her decide on the location. After a snowstorm in the summer, only one field remained free from the white blanket of snow. This field was part of the Uí Liatháin's land. The woman took this occurrence as an omen. In honour of this omen, it was decided to dedicate the church to Our Lady of the Snows.
The earliest record of Killagholehane church is from 1201. In 1302 at the time of the destruction of the church in Dromcollogher, Killagholehane church was also partially destroyed. It was rebuilt almost immediately on the same site.
There was also accommodation for priests in a building attached
to the church. There is a tomb in the wall of the church from the fifteenth
century but it is unknown who it belongs to. It may possibly be the tomb of
the O'Daly family, a renowned Bardic family under the employment of the Earls
of Desmond for around 300 years.
Springfield church ruin is located in the graveyard of the same name. This church, also known as Gortnatubrid, was originally a Chapel of Ease for the Fitzgerald family in Springfield Castle. In fact an underground tunnel was located linking the church to the castle. This church became a Protestant church and both Catholics and Protestants are buried in the surrounding graveyard.
There is a tomb to the Fitzmaurice family, who acquired the castle after Sir John Fitzgerald left the country to serve with the Irish Brigade in France following the Jacobite/Williamite war of 1689-91. He was killed in battle in Oudenarde in 1708. During the Geraldine Rebellion of 1579, John of Desmond defeated the English at the Battle of Gortnatubrid in a field just below the cemetery in Springfield, called Páirc na Staille.
Over the entrance to Springfield Castle is the motto of the
MacCarthy family which means "To the brave and the faithful, nothing
is difficult". The entrance was inspired by the Maoiri tradition,
which Lord Muskerry came across while working in Australia and New Zealand.
The church ruins in Tullylease are believed to date from the seventh century. Tullylease is in the Diocese of Cloyne and is regarded by many as a boundary point in the Diocese of Limerick. The present diocesan boundaries were drawn up at the Synod of Rathbrassil in 1111.
The original church at Tullylease was built by St Berechert, an Anglo-Saxon saint who came to Ireland in the seventh century with St. Gerald of Mayo. Mathew, son of Grifin built an Augustinian monastery here some time before 1170. Parts of the ruins date from the twelfth (the south end of the east wall), thirteenth (the window and door in the south wall) and the fifteenth (the chancel) centuries. According to Séamus Ó Súilleabháin, the soldiers of Cromwell destroyed the church in or around 1650.
On the eastern wall of the church, there is an inscribed stone that is from the eighth century. It is an early Christian cross-slab and asks people to pray for Berechert (sometimes called St Benjamin).
Seamus Ó Súilleabháin informs us that the stone is similar to a scene in the Book of Lindisfarme, an Anglo-Saxon book similar to Ireland's Book of Kells.
According to John O'Sullivan's book A History of the Church in Killagholehane and Broadford there was also a church called Killeen, the site of which was a half mile to the north of Broadford village. However, there is no longer any trace of the church at the site.
The present day cemetery in Dromcollogher is located across the road from the present day church. This graveyard surrounds the ruins of St Bartholomew's church. The oldest headstone that we found in the cemetery was dedicated to the memory of the Reverend Patrick Quin who was a priest in Dromcollogher. Fr. Quin died on the 29th of April 1778.
Killagholehane graveyard is situated in the townland of the same name. This graveyard, also known as Killaliathan, surrounds the ruins of Killagholehane church. The graveyard is well kept. The oldest headstone that we came across in this graveyard dates from 1862 and is in memory of a woman called Parker. She is the only Protestant buried in this graveyard.
Springfield graveyard is located in Springfield townland. The oldest headstone that we came across here was in memory of David Neal who died on December 29th, 1715. Marker stones can be found throughout the graveyard. One gable end of Springfield church ruin remains standing in this graveyard.
Today in the Diocese of Cloyne, Tullylease was once part of
the parish of Dromcollogher/Broadford. A graveyard surrounds the church ruin.
A Marian Shrine was erected in Broadford village in 1988.
Back to Top
Broadford mass rock is located in the townland of Farrihy. The mass rock is situated on Cnoc na gCairn, Daly's Hill. According to local tradition, Oliver Plunkett was present at the consecration of Bishop Dooley of Limerick (1677) at Farrihy. Today the mass rock is no longer visible, as the hillside has been planted with trees. The site, however, still affords a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside.
Dáithí Ó Bruadair (1625 - 1698) is one of the famous sons of the parish. Although he was born in Co. Cork, the Fitzgeralds of County Limerick were his primary patrons and, therefore, he spent most of his time in the area. A statue, sculpted by Clíodna Cussen, has been erected to his memory in Broadford. According to the adjoining plaque, President Mary McAleese officially unveiled the statue on May 4th 1998.
Dáithí Ó'Bruadair was one of the last professional poets, whose work recorded the events in the lives of a ruling family in Ireland. During Dáithí O'Bruadair's lifetime, Cuchonnacht O Dálaigh held a Bardic school in Tullaha. Students came from all over Ireland to learn poetry. The Bardic school survived until the death of Cúchonnacht Ó Dálaigh in 1642. O'Bruadair's work as a poet did not continue throughout his life, and it is thought that he ended his life as a farm labourer. A fine inscribed plaque by Cork sculptor, Seamus Murphy commemorating Dáithí's life, is set in the wall of the entrance to Springfield castle. The plaque includes the following quote from Ó Bruadair "Dúnadh duanach duasach dreamach" which means "a mansion abounding in poetry, rewards and crowds of people". "Dúnadh" also means 'fortress like' and was important in the uncertain times that Dáithí Ó Bruadair lived in.
Bishop Douley was consecrated in Dromcollogher/Broadford,
in the townland of Farrihy, on May 4th 1676. The consecration took place at
White Gate, near Springfield castle.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Ballinlongig||Baile an Longaigh||The town of An Longach|
|Ballyfirreen||Baile Phirín||The town of Pirín|
|Ballymongaun||Baile Uí Mhongáin||The town of Ó Mongán|
|Banemore||An Bán Mór||The big (tract of) lea ground|
|Barnagarrane||Barr na nGarrán||The high ground of the groves|
|Boola||An Bhuaile||The booley|
|Broadford||Béal an Átha||The mouth of the ford|
|Carroward East||An Cheathrú Árd||The high quarterland|
|Carroward West||as above|
|Coolaboy||Cúil Buí||Yellow corners|
|Coolaleen||Cúil an Lín||The corner of the flax|
|Coolnaknockane||Cúil na gCnocán||The corner of the hillocks|
|Dromcollogher||Drom Collachair||Ridge of the Hazelwood|
|Farrihy||An Fhairche||The territory|
|Gardenfield East||Múscrsaí Uí Núnáin||Múscraí of Ó Núnáin|
|Gardenfield South||as above|
|Gardenfield West||as above|
|Gorteen||An Goirtín||The small field|
|Kells||Na Cealla||The churches|
|Killeen||An Cillín||The small church|
|Knockacraig||Cnoc an Chraobhaigh||The hill of An Craobhach|
|Knockgloss||An Cnoc Glas||The green hill|
|Knocktoosh||Cnoc Túis||Meaning uncertain|
|Lacka Lower||An Leaca||The hillside|
|Lacca Upper||as above|
|Lisnafulla||Lios na Fola||The enclosure of the blood|
|Mondellihy||Móin Deilithe||Meaning uncertain|
|Mount Plummer||Cill Aidhleach||The church of Aidhleach|
|Springfield||Gort na Tiobraide||The field of the well|
|Tullaha||Na Tulacha||The hillocks|
|Tulligmacthomas||Tulaigh Mhic Thomáis||The hillock of Mac Thomáis|
|Woodfield||Ros na Réileán||The high place of the level tracts|
|1704 - 1719||Maurice England|
|1719 – c.1740||James Scanlon|
|c.1740 - 1765||Callaghan O’Callaghan|
|1765 -?||John Browne|
|? - 1778||Patrick Quin|
|1778 - 1795||Thomas Conway|
|1795 - 1808||Thomas Cleary|
|1808 - 1817||James O’Connor|
|1817 - 1824||Michael Fitzgerald|
|1824 – 1833||Michael Shanahan|
|1833 - 1836||Patrick Reeves|
|1837||Patrick Reeves||Michael McDonnell|
|1838||Patrick Reeves||Michael McDonnell|
|1839||Patrick Reeves||Richard Scott|
|1840||Patrick Reeves||Richard Scott|
|1841||Patrick Quaid||Oliver Frost|
|1842||Patrick Quaid||John Meehan|
|1843||Patrick Quaid||Maurice Ahern|
|1844||Patrick Quaid||Maurice Ahern|
|1845||Patrick Quaid||John Chawke|
|1846||Patrick Quaid||John Chawke|
|1847||Patrick Quaid||James O’Donnell|
|1848||Patrick Quaid||James O’Donnell|
|1849||Patrick Quaid||James O’Donoghue|
|1855||Patrick Quaide||John Walshe|
|1856||Patrick Quaide||John Walshe|
|1857||Patrick Quaide||John Walshe|
|1858||Patrick Quaide||John Walshe|
|1859||Patrick Quaide||James Corbett|
|1860||Patrick Quaide||John Quaide|
|1861||Patrick Quaide||John Quaide|
|1862||Patrick Quaide||Richard Bridgeman|
|1863||Patrick Quaide||Richard Bridgeman|
|1864||Patrick Quaide||Richard Bridgeman|
|1865||Patrick Quaide||Richard Bridgeman|
|1866||Patrick Quaide||Patrick Carroll|
|1867||Patrick Quaide||Patrick Carroll|
|1868||Patrick Quaid||Edward Clifford|
|1869||William O’Donnell||Edward Clifford|
|1870||William O’Donnell||Edward Clifford|
|1871||William O’Donnell||Edward Russell|
|1872||William O’Donnell||Edward Russell|
|1873||William O’Donnell||Edward Russell|
|1874||William O’Donnell||Edward Russell|
|1875||William O’Donnell||Edward Russell|
|1876||William O’Donnell||Robert Kirby|
|1877||James Lynch Roche||Robert Kirby|
|1878||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1879||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1880||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1881||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1882||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1883||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1884||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1885||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1886||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1887||James Lynch Roche||Edward Russell|
|1888||James Lynch Roche||Laurence Curtin|
|1889||James Lynch Roche||James O’Shea|
|1890||James Lynch Roche||James O’Shea|
|1891||James Lynch Roche||James O’Shea|
|1892||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1893||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1894||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1895||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1896||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1897||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1898||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1899||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1900||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1901||John Glesson||James O’Shea|
|1902||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1903||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1904||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1905||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1906||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1907||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1908||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1909||Michael Byrne||James O’Shea|
|1910||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1911||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1912||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1913||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1914||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1915||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1916||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1917||Michael Byrne||Thomas Wall|
|1918||Canon John Begley||Thomas Wall|
|1919||Canon John Begley||Thomas Wall|
|1920||Canon John Begley||Thomas Wall|
|1921||Canon John Begley||Thomas de Bhall|
|1922||Canon John Begley||Thomas de Bhall|
|1923||Canon John Begley||Edward Punch|
|1924||Canon John Begley||Edward Punch|
|1925||Canon John Begley||Edward Punch|
|1926||Canon John Begley||Edward Punch|
|1927||Canon John Begley||Edward Punch|
|1928||Canon John Reeves||Edward Punch|
|1929||Canon John Reeves||Edward Punch|
|1930||Canon John Reeves||Edward Punch|
|1931||Canon John Reeves||Robert Dunworth|
|1932||Canon John Reeves||Robert Dunworth|
|1933||Canon John Reeves||Robert Dunworth|
|1934||Canon John Reeves||Robert Dunworth|
|1935||Canon John Reeves||Robert Dunworth|
|1936||Canon John Reeves||Robert Dunworth|
|1937||James Foley||Robert Dunworth|
|1938||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1939||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1940||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1941||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1942||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1943||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1944||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1945||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1946||James Foley||Philip Enright|
|1947||Hugh O’Connor||Philip Enright|
|1948||Hugh O’Connor||Philip Enright|
|1949||Hugh O’Connor||Philip Enright|
|1950||Hugh O’Connor||Philip Enright|
|1951||Hugh O’Connor||Philip Enright|
|1952||Hugh O’Connor||Philip Enright|
|1953||Hugh O’Connor||Philip Enright|
|1954||Hugh O’Connor||Michael Minihan|
|1955||Hugh O’Connor||Michael Minihan|
|1956||Hugh O’Connor||Michael Minihan|
|1957||Hugh O’Connor||Michael Minihan|
|1958||Hugh O’Connor||Michael Minihan|
|1959||Hugh O’Connor||Michael Minihan|
|1960||Hugh O’Connor||William O’Connell|
|1961||Hugh O’Connor||William O’Connell|
|1962||Hugh O’Connor||William O’Connell|
|1963||Hugh O’Connor||William O’Connell|
|1964||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1965||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1966||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1967||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1968||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1969||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1970||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1971||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1972||Hugh O’Connor||Gerard Wall|
|1973||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1974||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1975||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1976||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1977||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1978||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1979||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1980||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1981||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1982||John Liston||Peadar de Burca|
|1983||John Liston||Frank Duhig|
|1984||John Liston||Frank Duhig|
|1985||John Liston||Thomas Crawford|
|1986||John Liston||Thomas Crawford|
|1987||James Ambrose||Thomas Crawford|
|1988||James Ambrose||Thomas Crawford|
|1989||James Ambrose||Thomas Crawford|
|1990||James Ambrose||Thomas Crawford|
|1991||James Ambrose||Timothy Curtin|
|1992||James Ambrose||Timothy Curtin|
|1993||James Ambrose||Timothy Curtin|
|1994||James Ambrose||Timothy Curtin|
|1995||James Ambrose||Timothy Curtin|
|1996||James Ambrose||Timothy Curtin|
|1997||James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|1998||James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|1999||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2000||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2001||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2002||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2003||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2004||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2005||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2006||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
|2007||Canon James Ambrose||Anthony Kelleher|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design