Limerick Diocese Home Page Heritage Project Home Page Index of Parishes Search Help

Church Ruins   Donaghmore-Knockea   Local Sites

Mount Saint Oliver Graveyard
© Mount Saint Oliver Graveyard

Mount St Oliver graveyard is in the parish under the care of Limerick Corporation. This new graveyard was opened due to a lack of space in the city graveyard in Mount St Lawrence. The graveyard, which is multi-denominational, was opened on April 7th 1978 by Bishop Jeremiah Newman and Bishop Edwin Owen.

Donaghmore Graveyard
© Donaghmore Graveyard

Donaghmore graveyard is in the grounds of the church ruin. Lewis mentions that in the graveyard in Donaghmore there were tombs to the Roche, Kelly, Connell and Fitzgerald families. There are a number of tombs in the graveyard but the inscriptions are illegible due to the passage of time. The graveyard is very well maintained by members of a FÁS scheme.

There is a tomb inside the church ruin. The oldest headstone that we found, was in memory of Mary Meehan who died on June 4th 1744, aged 4. Fr Thomas Graham, Parish Priest from 1919 to 1926, is buried in the grounds of Donaghmore graveyard.

Cahernorry graveyard
© Cahernorry graveyard

In Cahernorry graveyard there are a number of large monuments. Three medium sized tombs were to the Shine family, the Russell family and the Vereker family. Towering over the graveyard is a huge monument to John Howley that was erected by himself prior to his death. There is a stone plaque dated 1820 on the wall of the graveyard at the roadside. Part of the inscription on it reads "When name and frame whence came are all forgot, Who raised this obelisk peace be his lot." The Howley name also appears on the plaque. According to local historian, Thomas Toomey, the stone on the wall of the graveyard was the plinthstone from the obelisk that stood on the summit of Cahernorry hill.

Howley Tomb in Cahernorry
© Howley Tomb, Cahernorry

The graveyard is in excellent condition and a local committee maintains it. The oldest headstone that we found was in memory of Bridget Quinn, who died on May 17th 1778, aged 16.

Raheen graveyard
© Raheen graveyard

Raheen graveyard, in the townland of the same name, is also referred to as Cahervally graveyard. The graveyard is in extremely good condition and there are two large tombs to the Hunt family of Ballysinode.

The oldest headstone that we came across was to James Minihan who died on August 10th 1774, aged 24. However, according to "An Antique and Storied Land" the oldest headstone in Raheen graveyard is in memory of Patrick Purcell, who died on March 17th 1757, aged 70.

Tomb in Raheen graveyard
© Tomb in Raheen graveyard
Heritage Project Home | Donaghmore-Knockea Parish Home | Back to Top

Church Ruins      Local Sites