© Croom Church
Fr Laurence Hartnett probably built the church of St Mary
of the Assumption between the years 1814 and 1821. There is some dispute
about this though, as some maintain that the church was in fact first
built in 1808. Confusion is caused by the fact that there were two Fr
Laurence Hartnetts as Parish Priests of Croom, the first being the uncle
of the second.
According to oral tradition, a Mr Croker of Croom Castle gave the site
for St Mary's. The church was originally rectangular in shape, with a
thatched roof and flagged floor. Two wings were later added, giving the
church its present day T-shape.
In the 1850's the church was lengthened, and a new slated roof was put
on. The sacristy was built in 1898. During a reconstruction of the church
between 1929 and 1932, the walls were raised ten feet all around and buttressed
outside. A new roof was laid, and the flagstone floor was overlaid with
pitch pine boards. At this time, the Lyons family had their own gallery.
© Altar in Croom Church
In 1969 the altar and sanctuary were renovated, and the
floors were done up. More recently the stonework on the outside of the
church was exposed, and the church itself was painted. The exposed stonework
gives an indication of the original height of the thatch before the new
roof was laid.
© Stained Glass Window
of the Sacred Heart
in Croom Church
A plaque just inside the side door, on the right, is dedicated to Henry
Lyons, who died in 1885 aged 57. The plaque asks that people pray for
him and his family. Inside the side door on the left is a plaque to Lawrence
Hartnett, Parish Priest, who is buried in the church.
Stained glass windows in the church include windows of St Anthony, St
Bridget, St Patrick, St Theresa, and the Holy family. Parishioners donated
the windows. There is another plaque to the Lyons family on the stairs
of the right gallery, which dedicated the stained glass window of the
Archangel Michael to them. The window by the left gallery is to Gabriel.
Buried within the church are:
John Quinlan, P.P. for 31 years, Died May 19th 1892, Aged 72.
Hartnett, P.P. of Croom and Ballybanogue, Died August 27th 1861, Aged
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Austin Hartigan, Jesuit, Died 16th July 1916
Lee, P.P. for 3 years and 8 months, Died 25th Dec. 1907
Curtin, P.P. for 27 years, Died 24th Aug. 1936, Aged 80 years
Brassill, P.P., Croom, Died 1st Oct. 1965, Aged 66
Jacob Wall, P.P. 1936-1950, Died 31st Jan. 1950
David Martin, P.P. Died 14th June 1961 Aged 63
David Rea, P.P. 1974-1983, Died 13th Aug 1983, Aged 75