The church in Cappagh was built in 1839 by Fr Halpin, to replace the
previous church, which had been destroyed in a storm. The church was reconstructed
in 1986, and officially reopened on 15th February 1987. The foundation
stone is located at the side of the church. The previous church in Cappagh
was blown down on the 'Night of the Big Wind' on the 6th of January in
1839, and no trace of it now remains. Lewis described it as a large plain
thatched edifice. This church had been built on Cappagh Hill to replace
the mass house in Ballymorrisheen. When this church was destroyed in the
storm Fr Jeremiah Halpin acquired the present site, on which he built
the new church in 1839.
© Altar in Cappagh Church
The inscription over the front door reads:
Hanc Capellam Sto Jacobo
Apostolo dedicatum fieri
Fecit Rev J Halpin PP
Joanne Ryan DD Episcopo
Anno Domini 1839
A plaque on the wall, to the left as you enter the church,
lists all of the donors to the church. Rev. R. Somers, P.P, donated the
church altar and chancel. P & J Hayes donated the Altar rails. The
baptistery was donated by Kennedy James Hayes.
© Stained Glass Windows in Cappagh Church
The window in the porch depicts St James. The window behind
the altar is divided into three sections, which depict St William, the
Sacred Heart, and St Michael. This window was donated by the White family
in memory of William White who died in the Boer War on March 12th 1901.
The White family coat of arms is depicted on this window. This coat of
arms reads A Deo Fortuna et Honor. The front window was donated
by Mary A McDonnell, and Emily White donated the Chancel window.
Senator Michael O'Dea donated the stained glass windows on either side
of the nave. The window on the right is in memory of his only son Bernard,
who died on December 8th 1916. This window depicts St Bernard of Clairvaux,
to whom Mary appeared on a number of occasions. This window also depicts
a Cistercian monastery as well as writer's tools, common symbols of St
Bernard. The window on the left is in memory of Michael O'Dea's mother,
Lucy, who died on the 25th June 1902. This window depicts St Lucy. St
Lucy was martyred by Diocletian, a 4th century Roman Emperor. St Lucy
is mentioned in the List of Saints remembered in the Eucharistic Prayer
No. 1. A dish containing two eyes, often used as a symbol of this saint,
is also depicted on this stained glass window. We would like to thank
Fr Frank Duhig, PP, for additional information provided on these windows.
© Side Altars in Cappagh Church
The side altar, on the right hand side, is dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.
An inscription at the base of the statue reads "I am the Immaculate
Conception". This statue was donated by Mrs White of Nantenan, 1877.
To the left is an altar to St Joseph, donated by Thomas and Margaret Hayes,
Callow, 1883, who also donated the Stations.
Buried within the church are:
Fr Richard Mulcahy, P.P., Died 23rd January 1862, Aged 67
Robert Somers, Parish Priest, Died 20th June 1877, Aged 48
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Fr David Barry, P.P., Died 10th January 1937, Aged 58
Patrick Woulfe, P.P 1926-1933
William Boyce, P.P., Died 31st August 1953, Aged 57
P. Fitzgerald, P.P. 1969-1978, Died 8th June, Aged 60