© Martinstown Church
© Altar in Martinstown Church
The other church in the parish is at Martinstown, which
is also dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption. The plaque over the church
door dates the church as 1834. The church was built under the leadership
of Jacob Walsh and was opened by Bishop Ryan. The church was renovated
a number of years ago when the gallery was removed.
© Stained Glass Window of
Our Lady in Martinstown Church
Mr and Mrs James McCormack from Ballinvana donated the Stations
of the Cross in 1939. There is also a plaque asking people to pray for
Padraig Mac Flanncada and Liam Ó Slatarra, who died in the War
of Independence. Another plaque was given by the Oblate Fathers in 1891.
The stained glass windows at the back of the church were given by Fr Mark
Crowley P.P. of Middlesborough, Yorkshire in 1991. His parents were natives
of the parish.
Buried in the church is:
Nunan, P.P. 1858-1862, Died May 17 1862, aged 46