© Bruff graveyard
Bruff graveyard is located beside Bruff church. Archdeacon
Begley, P.P., and Bishop Keane opened this graveyard in 1937.
© Graveyard at Grange Church
The graveyard in Grange is in the church grounds. The
oldest headstone that we found here is in memory of James Power, who
died on October 17th 1781, aged 75. There is also a large tomb to John
Purcell in this graveyard.
© Graveyard at Meanus Church
Meanus graveyard is situated beside Meanus church. The
oldest headstone that we found here was in memory of John Gleeson who
died on August 4th 1874.
© Teamplin graveyard
The graveyard at Teamplin is no longer in use, although
it is well kept. There are no visible ruins in this graveyard. The oldest
headstone that we found here is in memory of Margaret Madden, who died
on May 3rd 1785, aged 22. A headstone of interest in this graveyard
is that of Cornelius O'Sullivan of Scartaglin, Co. Kerry, who was killed
in action at Gortboy, Kilmallock on July 16th 1922, aged 21.
© Kyle graveyard
Kyle graveyard, in the townland of North Camas, is located
over a mile west of Bruff, off the Croom road. It is now overgrown.
There are no visible ruins here either. This cemetery was the burial
place of the Bruff/Boston Fitzgeralds. Nellie O'Brien, widow of Jack
Fitzgerald was buried here in January 1935. Jack Fitzgerald died in
1906, and was also buried in Kyle. Pte. Cornelius O'Sullivan and two
comrades were buried briefly in Kyle before disinterment and reburial
at Teamplin. The oldest headstone that we found here was that of Mary
Hogan who died April 14th 1854.
© Tullybracky graveyard
There is also an old cemetery at Tullabracky. One wall
remains of the church ruin. Many of the inscriptions on the headstones
here were quite worn, and so were difficult to read. However, on the
oldest headstone that we found, we believe the inscription to have been
in memory of Lucy Bouchier who died on July 25th 1747. Also, according
to locals, some of the inscriptions on the headstones in this graveyard
are inscribed backwards. Unfortunately we do not know the reason for
© Glenogra graveyard
There were three tombs in Glenogra graveyard, but the
inscriptions on these were faded. The oldest headstone that we found
here was to the memory of Bridget Ahearne, who died on February 10th
1813, aged 70.
© Uregare graveyard
Uregare was once a parish in itself. Uregare graveyard
is still in use today. However, the graveyard is quite overgrown. The
oldest headstone that we came across in this graveyard was in memory
of Anne Rawleighal, who died on November 28th 1768, aged 27. The church
of St Margaret in Dromin was demolished between 1826 and 1840, and the
stones of this church as well as those of Uregare church were used to
enclose the graveyard of Uregare.
Website by Lúnasa