According to Begley's "History of the Diocese of Limerick" Banogue is an ancient canonry of the diocese but under the name of Anhid. Anhid is now in the neighbouring parish of Croom. The parish was separated in 1861 upon the death of Laurence Harnett P.P. of Croom. The parish name was changed from Anhid to Banogue. The parish of Banogue is located near the N20 that runs from Cork to Limerick. The present population of the parish is about 550 people.
When the church was built is an issue of debate. It has been
claimed that the church was built in 1840 but according to Fr Kennedy, the
church was probably built in 1818 or 1819. Stones were brought from Croom
to build the church. The church was renovated in 1826 and more than likely
the date of 1840 was a further renovation to the church. More recently the
church was renovated in 1955.
On the wall of the church beside the road, there are a number of rings inserted in the wall. These rings were used to tie up donkeys and traps while people were attending mass.
Originally the church consisted of the nave and the left transept of the present church. The right transept was a latter addition - perhaps in 1840. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter & Paul and on either side of the altar is a statue of one of the saints, Peter on the left and Paul on the right. There is also a statue of the Madonna in the church.
In front of the church there is a depiction of the crucifixion at Calvary. Fr Denis Fitzpatrick erected this in 1938 with the help of the parishioners.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Died November 24 1922
Thomas Mortell P.P.
Died October 8 1946
Died May 11 1939, aged 56
Timothy Culhane P.P.
Died November 16 1983, aged 66
The graveyard was opened in 1955 and is situated across the road from the church. Prior to 1955 local people were buried in cemeteries in either the parishes of Croom or Ballingarry/Granagh.
Westropp lists Ross Temple, also known as Kiltemplalain in
the parish, which was the site of a Kyle burial ground. This site is no longer
There is a well in Banogue, which was formerly in the parish of Croom. The well is called Banoge well and is in the townland of Ballynabanoge. According to Danaher whitethorn trees surrounded the well. The water was believed to cure animals affected with sore eyes. No devotions take place at the well today and the water is now used to supply domestic needs.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Ballinree||Baile an Rí||The town of the king|
|Ballintaw||Baile an tSamhaidh||The town of the sorrel|
|Ballyculleen||Baile an Choillín||The town of the small wood|
|Ballymacrory||Baile Mhic Ruairí||The town of Mac Ruairí|
|Ballynabanogue||Baile na Bánóige||The town of the small tract of lea-ground|
|Ballyphilip||Baile Philib||The town of Philip|
|Clorane||An Cloichreán||The stony place|
|Dohora||An Dumhach Chorrach||The uneven mound|
|Dunkip||Dún Cip||Fort of the tree stump|
|Glenbevan||An Gleann||The glen|
|Inchinclare||Inse an Chláraigh||The wet meadow of An Clárach|
|Morenane||Boirneán||The rocky place|
|Morenane West||as above|
|Pullagh||Pollach||Place of holes|
|Rosstemple||Ros an Teampaill||The high place of the church|
|Tullovin||Tulach Ó bhFinn||The hillock of Uí Fhinn|
|1867||William O’Donnell||John Glesson|
|1868||William O'Donnell||M. Power|
|1869||James L. Roche||Edmond Tracey|
|1870||James L. Roche|
|1871||James L. Roche|
|1872||James L. Roche|
|1873||James L. Roche||Daniel Crotty|
|1874||James L. Roche|
|1875||James L. Roche||John Doody|
|1876||James L. Roche|
|1878||John Kelly||Denis O’Keeffe|
|1879||Jeremiah Halpin||Denis O’Keeffe|
|1880||Jeremiah Halpin||John Conway|
|1896||Jeremiah Halpin||Patrick Halpin|
|1898||Jeremiah Halpin||John O’Connor|
|1899||Jeremiah Halpin||John Carr|
|1900||Jeremiah Halpin||John Carr|
|1901||Jeremiah Halpin||John Carr|
|1902||Jeremiah Halpin||Thomas Connolly|
|1917||Solomon Frost||Tim O’Sullivan|
|1918||Solomon Frost||Tim O’Sullivan|
|1919||Solomon Frost||Michael Toomey|
|1920||Solomon Frost||Hugh O’Connor|
|1921||Solomon Frost||Daniel Brosnahan|
|1922||Solomon Frost||Daniel Brosnahan|
|1923||David O’Carroll||Daniel Brosnahan|
|1924||David O’Carroll||Daniel Brosnahan|
|1925||David O’Carroll||Daniel Brosnahan|
|1930||Thomas Connolly||Michael Minahan|
|1931||Thomas Connolly||Fr. Stenson|
|1932||Thomas Connolly||William Creed|
|1934||Thomas Connolly||Michael Doody|
|1935||Thomas Connolly||Michael Kelly|
|1936||Denis Fitzpatrick||Michael Kelly|
|1942||Thomas Mortell||Hubert Fee|
|1944||Thomas Mortell||Joseph O’Beirne|
|1945||Thomas Mortell||Gerard Wall|
|1946||Thomas Mortell||Gerard Wall|
|2003||Joseph Kennedy (admin)|
|2004||Joseph Kennedy (admin)|
|2005||Joseph Kennedy (admin)||Eamonn O'Brien|
|2006||Joseph Kennedy (admin)||Eamonn O'Brien|
|2007||Joseph Kennedy (admin)||Eamonn O'Brien|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design