© Lady's Well
Lady's well is in the townland of Castletown. The well has
a statue to Our Lady and is surrounded by a wall with steps leading down
into the well. The feastday of the well is August 15th and each year a
mass is held at the well, and is attended by a large crowd. Well-worn
paths in the grass around the well mark the site of the rounds of the
well. Near the well are the ruins of MacEnery castle. According to legend
the well moved when clothes were washed in it.
© St Colman's Well
St Colman's well is in the townland of Gortroe. This well
is just a short walk from the church in Colmanswell. The grounds around
the well are extensive and feature a wooden bridge that leads into the
well. This work at the well was completed in 1996 and in April 1999, the
Bishop of Cloyne, John Magee, planted a Millennium tree here. The well
is now covered over and there is a large statue of St. Colman above it.
© Plaque at St Colman's Well
The feastday at the well is celebrated on October 29th.
There is some confusion as to which St. Colman is honoured in the parish.
The feastday celebrated at the well is that of St Colman of Kilmacduagh.
However, the parish is on the borders of the Diocese of Cloyne, and
so, many believe that St Colman of Cloyne is actually the patron saint
of the well. In addition to this the church itself is dedicated to St
Colman of Cloyne.
The well is known for curing eye complaints. President
de Valera came to pray at the well on several occasions, and carried
away curative waters with him. There are two interesting stories that
Danaher mentions in his "Holy Wells of Co. Limerick" regarding
this well. A man who was cured left his crutches at the well but came
back and took the crutches to try to sell them. The man was then struck
lame again. The second story tells of a man who worked on pattern day
who found that the money he had earned vanished from his pocket as he
passed the well. People doing rounds at the well used to scratch a cross
with a stone on the tombstone of Fr Rodger Coffee, P.P. of Bruree 1780-1802.
There is also another well in the parish. The well is
called St Gobnait's well but it was also known as St Debora/Deriola's
well. St. Gobnait was a saint who came from Ballyvourney in Co. Cork.
Danaher said that rounds were made and a pattern was held on February
11th until around 1870. The well has now dried up but the site is still
known. According to the parish priest, St Gobnait's well is situated
to the North of Ballyagran in a high field to the left of the road to
Castletown. It is believed that St. Gobnait lived here and legend claimed
that a white stag could sometimes be seen at the well.
Website by Lúnasa