The town of Askeaton is situated just off the N69 from Limerick to Tralee on the R518. Three miles to the north of Askeaton lies the village of Ballysteen, which is the other half of the parish. The name Askeaton comes from the Eas Géitiní, which means "the Waterfall of the Géitiní (Keatings)". The Géitiní were a Celtic tribe who settled in the area in ancient times. It is mistakenly given as "As-cead-tinne", the cascade of the hundred fires in Lenihan's "History of Limerick".
Askeaton is situated on the river Deel and was a base for the Normans, especially the Desmond Geraldines, whose family name was Fitzgerald. The Normans built a castle here in the 12th century but this was leveled in the 15th century to be replaced by the large fortress that the Desmond Geraldines built.
The Geraldines became unhappy with their English Tudors rulers; they looked to mainland Europe to form an alliance. On 20th of June 1523, a treaty between representatives of the French king, Francis I and James, the 10th Earl of Desmond was signed in Askeaton. The treaty stated that Desmond would make war on Henry VIII and that the French would land in Ireland. However nothing came of this treaty and it was another era before any attempt at rebellion was made.
The revolt of the Munster Geraldines occurred in 1579. The English Governor of Connacht Sir Nicholas Malby laid siege to the castle in Askeaton in which Gerald the fifteenth Earl of Desmond was in command. Malby was lacking artillery to attack the castle so he set fire to the town and the friary in the town. The following year the English Commander Pelham, assisted by artillery took the castle. The Borough of Askeaton was awarded a charter in 1613 and returned two members to Parliament until the Union of 1800
The name Ballysteen comes from Baile Stiabhna, which means "the town of Stiabhna". The name 'Stiabhna' is believed to come from the early Norman settlers to Limerick. Another derivation for Ballysteen is Baile Uistín, meaning the 'Town of Uístín'. The district of Ballysteen used to be part of Iveruss, which dates back to the twelfth century and is translated as "the descendants of Rós" who were a family in the area in ancient times. Lewis states that Iverus was a Danish commander who sailed up the Shannon in 824 with a fleet and took possession of Limerick. Iverus founded a church on the spot where he first disembarked on the shore. However many historians dispute this fact.
At the mouth of the Deel at a place called Knockeegan there are a group of five stones called Cuig Charraí. These stones were probably a place of pagan worship and may have been a temple of the sun.
The parish of Askeaton-Ballysteen is made up of the old parishes
of Askeaton, Iverus, Lismakeery and Tomdeely. The present population of the
parish of Askeaton/Ballysteen is around 2,300 people.
Back to Top
The present day church in Askeaton was built on a site on the western road during Fr Edward Cussen's time as parish priest. Building was commenced in 1851 and was completed in 1853. The church is dedicated to St Mary. The church was restored under the leadership of Canon Thomas Kirby and Bishop Newman rededicated the church on the 23rd of May 1977. In front of the church in Askeaton, there is a cross that marks the grave of Fr Edmund Treacy. Between the period of time that the parish church was burned in 1847 and the completion of the present church in 1853, mass was celebrated in what is now Fitzgibbon's Store in Brewery Lane.
In the church, there are two stained glass windows at the centre of the nave. The window on the left is in memory to Mary and Brigid Casey, both of whom died from TB at age 19. The window depicts St Patrick receiving the two daughters of King Laoire, the King of Ireland into the church. The window opposite it shows Jesus with the little children. This window is to the memory of Annie Mulraire.
The stained glass window in the right transept shows the Resurrection while under the gallery there is a statue to the Immaculate Conception. In the left transept the stained glass window depicts the Ascension.
Over the main door of the church, the stained glass window to the Blessed Virgin Mary is in memory to the McDonnell family of Milltown. Also over the door, there is a large statue of the Pieta.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Died 23rd September 1983
Died 10th September 1969
Canon Thomas Kirby
Died 19th August 1985
Died 21st November 1963
Died 11th July 1953
Canon Timothy Reidy
Died 13th May 1940
P. J. Casey
Died 6th January 1946
Died 23rd November 1908
The church in Ballysteen was built in 1861 and is dedicated to St. Patrick. The 3rd Earl of Dunraven donated the land for the church in Ballysteen. The date of the church is inscribed on the church bell, which dated from the same year. The church building is noteworthy because of the impressive stonework on the exterior walls. The church was reroofed in 1996. In the grounds of the church, there is a plot to the Naughton family.
Wooden arches support the high ceiling in this church. The stained glass window behind the altar is divided into three sections, with Mary on the left, the Sacred Heart in the middle and Joseph on the right. To the left of the altar there is a statue to the Virgin Mary, while there is a statue to the Sacred Heart to the right of the altar.
In the abbey grounds, there was a thatched church that was
burned in 1847 when a fire started in the local mill across the road. The
fire burned the mill and spread to the church. Lewis states that the Knights
Templars originally founded this church in 1298. However this is probably
incorrect, as Lewis mistakenly believed that the Knights Templars built many
of the early churches in Ireland. Local tradition claims that this was one
of three churches that were built by three sisters but no saint or founder
is remembered in the parish. The other two churches were Kileen (in Kilcornan
parish) and Cappagh church.
There was a church in Beagh near Beagh castle ruin. This church is occasionally referred to as Iverus church. The church is in the townland of Ballyaglish. The ruin is situated on high ground and overlooks the village of Ballysteen to the west. There is also a graveyard on this site. Beagh church ruin is in good condition and the local people care for the church grounds.
The church was renovated in the 1980s. While it is without a roof, the remainder of the church is in excellent condition due to a large amount of voluntary work that has been carried out on the church. According to local legend, this is the church that Iverus reputedly built when he first came ashore.
Westropp measured the church as 57 feet by 22 feet. A major feature of the church is the window in the east wall, which has two ogee lights. There is also a wide doorway with a pointed arch in the south wall.
There was a chapel in Ballysteen in the 1790s, which was thatched. The modern church is at the western end of the village. This may have been a mass house rather than a church.
From W. Blood's work as a Hearth-money collector in 1784,
we found that there was a mass house in Askeaton. He was probably referring
to the thatched mass house, which burned in 1847.
Lewis mentions that the church in Askeaton was also thatched and that the church was founded in 1298. The remains of a belfry and a part of the old chancel can be still seen. It is believed that the church ruin is probably dated from medieval times. The belfry is of particular note because it is square at ground level while it is octagonal on the next level. St. Mary's Protestant church, which was built in or around 1820, adjoins the ruin. After the dissolution Lord Cork converted this church to a Church of Ireland church.
Westropp mentions that there were also churches at Lismakeery and Tomdeely. Lismakeery church is situated near the ring fort in Lismakeery. Westropp measured it as 59 feet by 22 ½ feet. The ruin is in good condition and within the church ruin, an altar has been erected where mass can be said in the church and the surrounding graveyard.
Tomdeely (also known as Dromdeely) church was to the northeast of Tomdeely castle and O'Donovan claimed that the church dated from the fifteenth century but it may have been older by around a century. Westropp measured the nave and chancel as 34 feet by 24 feet and 21 feet by 15 ½ feet.
There was also a chapel in the Desmond castle but the exact
location of this chapel is unknown. Westropp states that the chapel was in
the south end of the great hall.
In 1389 the Munster Geraldines began building a friary for the Conventual Franciscans. It was completed around 1420. By 1490, the friary was occupied by the Observantine Franciscans. The friary was built with dark grey limestone, which can be found in the locality. The founder is believed to be Gerald, the fourth Earl of Desmond.
A chapter of the Franciscans was held at the friary in 1564. In 1579, the English commander Malby laid siege to the castle in Askeaton. Due to his failure in overthrowing the castle, Malby set fire to the town and the friary, killing a number of friars in the fire. It was not until 1627 that friars returned to the friary but they did not re-establish themselves fully until 1642, when the Confederates took control of the town. The friars then began to restore and repair the friary.
During this time the bodies of two Franciscans who were hanged in Kilmallock in 1579 were buried in the friary. They were Patrick O'Hely, who was the Bishop of Mayo and Conn O'Rourke. Also, a Fr. O'Farrell was hanged in the friary. With the Cromwellian invasion of 1648, the friars fled the friary and went into hiding or travelled abroad.
The last Guardian to the Friary to reside at the friary was appointed in 1714, although they were still nominated until 1870. Part of the friary was used as a church until the new church was built in the town in 1851. The nave and chancel of the church still remain along with the north transept. Also the window in the north wall remains intact.
In the cloisters there is a carving of St. Francis with stigmata. The face of the statue of St. Francis has been worn away as it is believed that kissing the statue will cure toothache. The cloisters are still intact and they are enclosed by twelve pointed arches. Most Franciscan friaries have the cloisters to the north of the church. In Askeaton however, the cloisters are to the south of the church. Cylindrical columns support the arches. On one section of the cloisters, there is a sundial in the stonework. In the cloisters there is an inscription that reads "Beneath lies The Pilgrim's body, who died January 17th, 1784". See 'The Askeaton Pilgrim'.
In the friary, there is a tomb to Richard Stephenson, who was a leading member of the Confederate Irish Forces. Stephenson died in 1646 and the inscription to him is written in Latin. Part of the inscription is missing on the tomb. His family is said to have expelled the monks form the friary for a second time in 1651 or 1691.
The friary is a very impressive building and recently it has been restored by FAS workers, who have made the friary accessible to tourists.
Two chalices were found in the grounds of the friary. One
of these dates from 1662 and is now kept in St. Mary's church. The De Lacy
family of Conigar, Askeaton, commissioned the chalice. There were two tombs
in the friary to the Earl of Desmond and Turlough Mac Mahon but Malby and
his forces destroyed both in 1579. Begley states that there was a chalice
in Askeaton that was still being used in the 1920s. The chalice was made in
1719 by Fr Pat Purcel and belonged to the Franciscans at the friary there
at one stage.
Back to Top
The graveyard in Beagh contains a number of tombs. The oldest headstone that we found here dates from 1760 and is to the memory of Dudley Jovnt who died on June 28th of that year aged 56. The surname may possibly be spelt as Jount or Joynt as the 'v' is unclear on the headstone.
At the Franciscan Friary, there is a graveyard along with a number of headstones that are in various parts of the Friary. In the main graveyard, just inside the main gate, is an unusual headstone. Prior to his death, a cooper named Mikie Magner, who died in early 1950s, designed and built this crude cross as his own headstone. The oldest headstone that we found in the friary dates from 1750 and was to John O'Connor who died aged 52. The month on the headstone is indecipherable but it was on the 6th of whichever month.
At St. Mary's church, both Protestants and Roman Catholics are buried in the adjoining graveyard. There are a number of tombs in the graveyard. Near the present day church lies the grave of the poet Aubrey de Vere.
There are a number of interesting headstones in the graveyard. One of these headstones is to Joseph Blackaller who died on November 14th 1795, aged 28. The headstone mentions that Blackaller died on board the ship 'The Carnalle' that was bound for East India or was a ship belonging to the East India Trading Company.
The oldest headstone that we found in the graveyard was to Lawerence Connell who died on June 24th 1780, aged 60. This inscription is followed with the words; "Here lies 19 of his children".
The graveyard in Lismakeery is in good condition, which is
due to the work of a local committee. The oldest headstone that we came across
was in memory to Mary Reddan who died on March 8th 1781, at the age of 50.
Back to Top
Danaher mentions two wells in the parish. They are both situated in the townland of Moig South and are 20 yards apart. Danaher wrote that circular walls enclose each well but the stonework is in a state of disrepair. There were some whitethorn trees near the wells. Rounds were usually made before sunrise on Sunday mornings but devotions have ceased at the wells a number of years ago.
However, when the land changed hands, the wells were filled
in and all that remained was a pool of water. As a result of this, the location
of the wells is now uncertain. According to legend, there came to be two wells
because someone washed dirty clothes in the well. The next day there were
two wells and so the people could not establish the real well. It was claimed
that a fish would appear in the original well.
Back to Top
The Nursing Madonna
In the last century, a fifteenth century oakwood carving of Madonna seated while nursing the infant on her left knee was discovered. The statue measures about 3 feet in height and was used as a water trough for cattle for many years without realising what the trough was. The face of the Madonna still remains and it is thought that one of the monks in the Franciscan friary carved the image.
How the carving came to be used as a water trough is unclear. The friars in times of trouble would give religious objects to local families to mind them and when peace would return, the friars would retrieve the objects. The Coomby/Combha family in Tubrid kept the carving and if anyone asked what it was, they were told that a retarded boy carved it with a spoon.
When the last of the Combha family died, it became the possession
of Michael Sommers, who owned the land where the Combha's house stood. Around
1940, it was passed onto his nephew, Patrick Casey who loaned it to the National
Museum where it is now kept.
Back to Top
It is believed that there is a mass rock in the parish in the townland of Ballincourty but there is no proof of this.
The grotto in Askeaton was opened on August 15 1988.
The poet Aubrey de Vere was born in Curraghchase in 1814. He wrote poems about Irish patriotic events like "A Ballad of Sarsfield" and "The March to Kinsale". He was reared as a Protestant but in 1851 in Avignon, France he was received into the Roman Catholic Church. Aubrey had an audience with the Pope, who asked him to write a poem in honour of the Blessed Virgin.
Aubrey de Vere died in 1902 and is buried in the graveyard
besides the old St. Mary's church in Askeaton.
Back to Top
The story of the Askeaton pilgrim was not uncovered until the end of the 18th century when Phil Rourke, a 90-year-old local of the parish told it to a local scholar.
In Genoa, Italy in 1757 with the captain of a vessel that was owned by the merchant Don Martinez de Mendoza of Barcelona, Spain, had fallen in love with the only child of Don Martinez, Beatriz. He knew Don Martinez would never grant him permission to marry Beatriz so their love remained secret from her father.
Don Martinez wanted his beautiful daughter to marry a member of the Spanish aristocracy but she refused his approved suitors. With the help of her uncle and her lady-in-waiting, Beatriz married her father's captain in secret. Her husband was soon sent back to sea and wished to be reunited with his wife. After spending the winter of 1757 in port, the captain was to lead the fleet to the West Indies. The young couple decided that on his return, they would tell Don Martinez of their marriage.
The captain left for the West Indies without knowing that his wife was pregnant. Don Martinez now had to be told and he erupted in a fit of rage and refused to believe that the wedding had ever taken place, even when the priest who performed the ceremony told him of the truth. Don Martinez sent his daughter to a convent for bringing disgrace to his name. Don Martinez swore an oath that he would kill his captain.
Don Martinez had men waiting at the port in Barcelona to kill his captain but friends of the captain rowed out to the vessel and told him of the trouble that awaited him at port and that his wife was in labour. By the time he got to the convent he was too late as his wife had died giving birth to their son. He hastily arranged the burial of his wife and the care of his son with the nuns and fled the city. With him he took the ebony ring that he had given his wife when he left for the West Indies.
Don Martinez sold all his possessions in his rage and set off in search of his son-in-law. For ten years, he travelled throughout Europe in search of his captain, asking sailors for information on his whereabouts. In the winter of 1767, Don Martinez disembarked from a ship at Askeaton and lived in the ruins of the Desmond castle. Don Martinez did not tell anyone his name or his quest that brought him to Askeaton.
After a month, he left Askeaton and resumed his mission. Somewhere in Ireland, he found his captain and murdered him and took his daughter's ebony ring. After these actions, Don Martinez fully realised what he had done and was distraught with grief and travelled throughout Ireland. He returned to Askeaton and arrived at the door of Phil Rourke, who was the local schoolmaster and parish clerk, in the middle of the night.
Rourke was shocked by what appeared before him. Don Martinez was now a haggard old man with a grey beard. The following morning the stranger told Phil Rourke to take his purse of gold and remove what he needed to live a comfortable life. All the stranger wanted in return was to be provided with some bread and water for the reminder of his life.
The stranger went to the friary and made a bed for himself. For the next sixteen years, Don Martinez devoted his life to prayer and meditation in forgiveness for his terrible sin. Each January the stranger left Askeaton and it was believed that he travelled the holy places of Ireland. On hearing this tale, Phil Rourke called him 'the pilgrim'.
In January of 1784, the pilgrim was too sick to leave the friary and Rourke visited him in the friary to read from a prayer book. On the evening of January 17th, the pilgrim told his friend that he was close to death and gave a small book to Phil Rourke with the instruction to keep it until its owner would come to Askeaton.
The stranger agreed to see a priest and Phil Rourke went for the priest. When they returned, the pilgrim was lying face down in the roofless chapel of the friary. Within a couple of minutes, the pilgrim was dead and was buried at the spot where he died.
This however is not the end of the story. In the summer of the same year 1784, a boat sailed into Askeaton that was carrying soldiers. Phil Rourke saw the soldiers disembarking and three soldiers were heading in the direction of his cottage. Rourke ran into his home to avoid the soldiers but the soldiers had seen him. They banged on his door and Rourke, despite the danger, opened the door.
At the door was a man in his twenties who bore an uncanny resemblance to the pilgrim that had died earlier that year. Rourke handed him the small book that he had been given and gave it to the soldier.
Phil Rourke went to the friary with the soldiers and showed them the grave of the pilgrim, where they all knelt and pray for the soul. Phil discovered that the soldier was the grandson of the pilgrim, Don Martinez de Mendoza. Don Martinez had contacted the convent before his death to tell them of his terrible deed.
The soldier read the notebook with the aid of a lamp. Then he ordered his men to the cloisters and ordered them to dig in certain places. They soon found a cask full of jewels but continued digging. One of the men removed one of the pillars and found a small oval box. Inside the box lay a miniature likeness of a woman and an ebony ring. Both these belonged to the soldier's mother.
The soldiers then left, taking with them what they had found and the two pillars that the soldiers had taken down during their search. The young man had left the notebook behind him. Phil Rourke picked up the book and left the friary.
The following day the people of Askeaton were outraged by
the damage at the friary. Phil Rourke decided not to tell anyone what he had
seen until twenty years later, when, at the age of ninety, he told his story
to a local scholar, who also got the notebook translated. This is when the
full story became apparent. What happened in the end to the young soldier
Back to Top
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Aghalacka||An tÁth Leacach||The flagged ford|
|Askeaton||Eas Géitine||The waterfall of Géitine|
|Ballynacourty||Baile na Cúirte||The town of the court|
|Ballinvoher||Baile an Bhóthair||The town of the road|
|Ballyaglish||Baile na hEaglaise||The town of the church|
|Ballycanauna||Baile an Chanánaigh||The town of the canon|
|Ballyellinan||Baile Uí Oileannáin||The town of Ó hOileannáin|
|Ballyengland Lower||Baile an Ingleontaigh||The town of An tIngleontach|
|Ballyengland Upper||as above|
|Ballyhomin||Baile Thoimín||The town of Toimín|
|Ballynacaheragh||Baile na Cathrach||The town of the stone fort|
|Ballynash||Baile an Naisigh||The town of An Naiseach|
|Ballynort||Baile Ó nDúrtaigh||The town of Uí Dhúrtaigh|
|Ballysteen||Baile Uístín||The town of Uístín|
|Ballyvaddock||Baile Mhadóg||The town of Madóg|
|Baunreagh||An Bán Riabhach||The streaked lea-ground|
|Beagh||Beitheach||Place of birch trees|
|Cloonreask||Cluain Riasc||Meadow of the marshes|
|Conigar||An Coinicéar||The rabbit-warren|
|Coolrahnee||Cúil Raithní||Corner of the bracken|
|Courtbrown||Cúirt an Bhrúnaigh||The court of An Brúnach|
|Cragmore||An Chraig Mhór||The big rock|
|Creeves||An Chraobh||The tree|
|Drominoona||Dromainn Úna||The ridge of Una|
|Drominycullane||Dromainn Uí Choileán||The ridge of Ó Coileáin|
|Galway||Gallmhaigh||Plain of standing stones|
|Liffane||An Leathbhán||The half-portion of lea ground|
|Lismakeery||Lios Mhic Thíre||The enclosure of Mac Tíre|
|Milltown||Baile an Mhuillinn||The town of the mill|
|Mitchelstown||Baile an Mhistéalaigh||The town of An Mistéalach|
|Moig North||Maigh an Iarla||The plain of the earl|
|Moig South||as above|
|Shannonview||Baile Radharc na Sionainne|
|Tomdeely North||Tuaim Dhaoile||Tumulus of the Daoil|
|Tomdeely South||as above|
|1704 - ?||David Lacy|
|? - 1763||Thomas Dillane|
|1763 - 1763?||William Neilon|
|1763 - 1780||Thomas Humphrey Sullivan|
|1780 - ?||John Fitzgerald|
|? – c.1791||Robin Walsh|
|1791 - 1814||Thomas Meagher|
|1814 - 1818||William Cronin|
|1818 - 1824||Thomas O’Hanlon|
|1824 – 1836||Michael Fitzgerald|
|1837||Michael Fitzgerald||Edward Cussen|
|1839||Edmund Cussen||Daniel Leahy|
|1840||Edmund Cussen||Daniel Leahy|
|1841||Edmund Cussen||Richard Lysten|
|1842||Edmund Cussen||Richard Lysten|
|1843||Edmund Cussen||Richard Lysten|
|1844||Edmund Cussen||Richard Lysten|
|1845||Edmund Cussen||Richard Lysten|
|1846||Edward Cussen||John Clifford|
|1847||Edward Cussen||James O’Donnell|
|1848||Edward Cussen||James O’Donnell|
|1849||Edward Cussen||James O’Donnell|
|1850||Edward Cussen||J. Enright|
|1851||Edward Cussen||J. Enright|
|1852||Edward Cussen||David Quaid|
|1853||Edward Cussen||David Quaid|
|1854||Edward Cussen||Tim Corkery|
|1855||Edward Cussen||Tim Corkery|
|1856||Edward Cussen||Tim Corkery|
|1857||Edward Cussen||Tim Corkery|
|1858||Edward Cussen||Marcus Cleary|
|1859||Edward Cussen||Marcus Cleary|
|1860||Edward Cussen||Marcus Cleary|
|1861||James Raleigh||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1862||James Raleigh||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1863||James Raleigh||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1864||James Hickey||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1865||James Hickey||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1866||James Hickey||M. Fitzgerald|
|1867||James Hickey||M. Fitzgerald|
|1868||James Hickey||M. Fitzgerald|
|1869||James Hickey||M. Fitzgerald|
|1870||James Hickey||M. Fitzgerald|
|1871||James Hickey||M. Fitzgerald|
|1872||D. O’Connor D.D.||M. Fitzgerald|
|1873||D. O’Connor D.D.||Denis Shanahan|
|1874||D. O’Connor D.D.||Denis Shanahan|
|1875||D. O’Connor D.D.||John Fitzgerald|
|1876||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edmund Tracey|
|1877||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edmund Tracey|
|1878||D. O’Connor D.D.||Thomas Liston|
|1879||D. O’Connor D.D.||Thomas Liston|
|1880||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edward Russell|
|1881||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edward Russell|
|1882||D. O'Connor D.D.||Edward Russell|
|1883||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edward Russell|
|1884||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edward Russell|
|1885||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edward Russell|
|1886||D. O’Connor D.D.||Edward Russell (Adm.)|
|1887||D. O’Connor D.D.||D. O'Driscoll|
|1888||Joseph Bourke||D. O’Driscoll|
|1889||Joseph Bourke||Michael Mulcahy|
|1890||Joseph Bourke||William O’Shea|
|1891||William Higgins||H. O’Donnell|
|1892||William Higgins||H. O’Donnell|
|1893||Edmund Tracey||M. McCoy|
|1894||Edmund Treacy||Jeremiah O’Shea|
|1895||Edmund Treacy||Jeremiah O’Shea|
|1896||Edmund Treacy||Jeremiah O’Shea|
|1897||Edmund Treacy||Jeremiah O’Shea|
|1898||Edmund Treacy||Jeremiah O’Shea|
|1899||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1900||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1901||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1902||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1903||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1904||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1905||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1906||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1907||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1908||Edmund Treacy||Patrick Hartigan|
|1909||John Lee||Patrick Hartigan|
|1910||John Lee||Patrick Hartigan|
|1911||John Lee||Patrick Hartigan|
|1912||John Lee||Patrick Hartigan|
|1913||John Lee||Patrick Hartigan|
|1914||John Lee||Patrick Hartigan|
|1915||John Lee||David Fitzgerald|
|1916||Timothy Reidy||David Fitzgerald|
|1917||Timothy Reidy||David Fitzgerald|
|1918||Timothy Reidy||Michael Leahy|
|1919||Timothy Reidy||Michael Leahy|
|1920||Timothy Reidy||Michael Leahy|
|1921||Timothy Reidy||Patrick Casey|
|1922||Timothy Reidy||Stephen O’Dea|
|1923||Timothy Reidy||Stephen O’Dea|
|1924||Timothy Reidy||Stephen O’Dea|
|1925||Timothy Reidy||Cornelius O’Sullivan|
|1926||Timothy Reidy||Cornelius O’Sullivan|
|1927||Timothy Reidy||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1928||Timothy Reidy||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1929||Timothy Reidy||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1930||Timothy Reidy||Michael McCarthy|
|1931||Timothy Reidy||James Bluett|
|1932||Canon Timothy Reidy||James Bluett|
|1933||Canon Timothy Reidy||James Bluett|
|1934||Canon Timothy Reidy||John Wilmot|
|1935||Canon Timothy Reidy||John Wilmot|
|1936||Canon Timothy Reidy||John Wilmot|
|1937||Canon Timothy Reidy||Michael Kelly|
|1938||Canon Timothy Reidy||M. McGowan|
|1939||Canon Timothy Reidy||Michael Kelly|
|1940||Canon Timothy Reidy||Michael Kelly|
|1941||Patrick Casey||Michael Kelly|
|1942||Patrick Casey||David Rea|
|1943||Patrick Casey||David Rea|
|1944||Patrick Casey||David Rea|
|1945||Patrick Casey||David Rea|
|1946||Patrick Casey||David Rea|
|1947||William Harty||David Rea|
|1948||William Harty||David Rea|
|1949||Denis O’Donnell||David Rea|
|1950||Denis O’Donnell||Patrick O’Dea|
|1951||Denis O’Donnell||Patrick O’Dea|
|1952||Denis O’Donnell||Patrick O’Dea|
|1953||Denis O’Donnell||Patrick O’Dea|
|1954||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1955||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1956||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1957||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1958||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1959||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1960||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1961||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1962||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1963||Cornelius O’Sullivan||Patrick O’Dea|
|1964||John Carroll||Dermot McCarthy|
|1965||John Carroll||Dermot McCarthy|
|1966||John Carroll||Dermot McCarthy|
|1967||John Carroll||Dermot McCarthy|
|1968||John Carroll||Dermot McCarthy|
|1969||John Carroll||Patrick J. Guiry|
|1970||Thomas Kirby||Patrick J. Guiry|
|1971||Thomas Kirby||Patrick J. Guiry|
|1972||Thomas Kirby||Patrick J. Guiry|
|1973||Thomas Kirby||Patrick J. Guiry|
|1974||Thomas Kirby||Patrick J. Guiry|
|1975||Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1976||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1977||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1978||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1979||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1980||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1981||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1982||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1983||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1984||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1985||Canon Thomas Kirby||Michael Cussen|
|1986||Michael O’Connor||Michael Cussen|
|1987||Michael O’Connor||Anthony Kelleher|
|1988||Michael O'Connor||Andrew Keating|
|1989||Michael O’Connor||Andrew Keating|
|1990||Michael O’Connor||Andrew Keating|
|1991||Michael O’Connor||Andrew Keating|
|1992||Michael O’Connor||Andrew Keating|
|1993||Canon Michael O’Connor||Andrew Keating|
|1994||Canon Michael O’Connor||Andrew Keating|
|1995||Canon Michael O’Connor|
|1996||Canon Michael O’Connor||Eugene Boyce|
|1997||Canon Michael O’Connor||Sean Ó Longaigh|
|1998||Sean Ó Longaigh||Maurice Kerin|
|1999||Sean Ó Longaigh||William Doolan|
|2000||Sean Ó Longaigh||William Doolan|
|2001||Sean Ó Longaigh||William Doolan|
|2002||Sean Ó Longaigh||William Doolan|
|2003||Sean Ó Longaigh|
|2004||Sean Ó Longaigh||Paul Finnerty|
|2005||Sean Ó Longaigh||Paul Finnerty|
|2006||Sean Ó Longaigh||Senan Murray|
|2007||Sean Ó Longaigh||Senan Murray|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design