© Church Ruin in Ardpatrick graveyard
The ruined church at Ardpatrick dates from the eleventh or twelfth century.
The first church on this site may have dated from as early as the fifth
century, but no trace of this church now remains. Torlogh O'Connor plundered
the church at Ardpatrick in 1127AD and Ceallach, the Archbishop of Armagh
died here in 1129AD. The round tower that stood on this site had fallen
before 1827, probably in a storm in 1824. All that remains now is the
stump of the round tower.
Westropp mentions some other sites where churches were situated in the
past. These churches were at Mortlestown, Dungaddy, and Sunville. All
of these churches were part of the parish of Particles before. Westropp
also mentions a church at Kildonayn, which was located between the church
at Dungaddy and Ardpatrick.
In his book "Ardpatrick" Fr John Fleming also mentions that
there were churches called Ardmacwelan, Laurencetown, Saichaihaill, Dunyirish
and Kill St Ann. No ruins remain of any of these churches nowadays.