Ardagh/Carrickerry is a parish in west County Limerick. The village of Ardagh is situated on the R523. The nearest primary town to the parish is Newcastlewest, which is situated at a distance of about three miles, on the road to Foynes and Shanagolden. The parish is bounded to the west by the Mullaghareirk Mountains, to the north by the parish of Coolcappa, to the east Rathkeale and to the south by Newcastlewest.
Ardagh is derived from the Irish Ardacadh, or Ardach which means 'high plain' or 'high field'. Carrickerry is derived from the Irish Carraig Chiarraí, which means the Rock of Ciarraí or Kerry. The Ciarraí were a Celtic tribe who also gave their name to the county of Kerry.
Ardagh was an important centre in medieval times. It was once a manor belonging to the Bishop of Limerick. With the development of Newcastle West, Ardagh's importance began to decrease. In 1981 a large hilltop fort, covering 52 acres, was discovered in the townland of Ballylin, a mile north-west of Ardagh. It is the largest ring fort found in Ireland so far.
The Parish was initially amalgamated with Newcastlewest, until their separation during the tenure of Fr William Hourigan PP sometime between 1755 and 1764. Carrickerry became a joint parish with Ardagh under the stewardship of Fr Michael Maher, which lasted from 1871 to 1881.
The name of Ardagh is inextricably linked to the Ardagh Chalice. Ireland's foremost treasure is currently housed in the National Museum of Ireland and is considered the `Jewel in the Crown' of all exhibits there. The beautifully proportioned Ardagh Chalice is the finest example of eighth century metalwork ever to have come to light. Standing six inches high it is made of silver, bronze and gold; the design and decoration indicating technical proficiency of the highest order.
According to the book Treasures of Early Irish Art (Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York: 1977):
"A wide range of materials have been used to create a work of perfection. The silver bowl, provided with handles for lifting, is linked by a gilded collar to a conical silver foot, made more stable by a broad horizontal flange on the chalice, where decoration is used, it is sumptuous. Ultimate LaTene scrolls, plain interlace, plaits and frets abound. The techniques employed are engraving, casting, filigree, cloisonné and enamelling. Below the horizontal band of gold filigree on the bowl the names of the Apostles in shining metal standout in sea of stippling."
It was discovered in September 1868 by two men digging potatoes in a ring fort at Reerasta, Ardagh. They were Jimmy Quin and Paddy Flanagan. It is unclear why they were digging potatoes in a fort, although it is possible that they believed that the potatoes grown here would be safe from the blight that had afflicted the potato crop during the Great Famine. The Sisters of Mercy owned the land and Mrs. Quin rented about 15 - 20 acres from the nuns. Jimmy was her son and Mr Flanagan was a workman employed at the time by the Quin family. It has been suggested that it was he who actually found the chalice but that Quin took all the glory. He felt aggrieved by the situation and felt obliged to leave the employment of the Quin's. On his death he was buried in the Paupers' graveyard in Newcastlewest.
The other man, Quin, later emigrated to Australia where he died. Mrs Quin sold the items to the Bishop of Limerick, Dr. Butler, at the time for £50.00. Dr. Butler in turn sold the chalice to the Royal Irish Academy for £500. The Ardagh chalice now resides at the National Museum. The chalice itself was one of a number of objects found at the time. There was also a smaller bronze chalice as well as four ornate brooches, which collectively became known as the 'Ardagh Hoard'
There is a note in "Treasures of Thomond" by Bishop Jeremiah Newman, regarding the Ardagh chalice. Bishop Newman found an interesting entry in the Earl of Dunraven's papers on the chalice. Mrs. Quin had about twenty years previously to the 1868 discovery found a gold chalice fifty yards west of the fort. This chalice was lost when "...One day her children took it out of the house to play with and that she never saw it again."
One of the items found was a wooden cross, which came into the possession of the Curate, a Fr O'Connor. He kept the cross, which he thought to be relatively valueless. Later he passed it on to a young man with whom he was very close. This man died at a young age and his mother kept the cross. Begley later came across this artefact in the mother's house. She explained the story to him. According to Begley:
"The image of our saviour is carved on one side, and has an antique appearance. On the other side the emblems of the Passion are cut by a later and ruder artist, beneath which are the figures 727, evidently intended for 1727, the date of the year"
Begley believes that this date helps to pinpoint the year of concealment of the chalice. He believes that this year could have been around 1740 as at that time the penal laws were being rigorously enforced. Another factor which would tend to point to the validity of this theory is the fact that according to local tradition mass used to be said in the Rath near the site of discovery during penal times.
The Ardagh Chalice itself is made from a silver-bronze alloy and its main features include delicate gold filigree work, ornate handles and the use of semi-precious and coloured stones and enamels. The overall impression is that of a master craftsman at work and probably dates from the eight century. The site at which it was discovered can still be pointed out to visitors at Reerasta, Ardagh, in Co. Limerick. Only part of the fort remains as the middle of the fort has been excavated.
There is nothing known of the history of this precious relic, or how it came to be buried in the Rath. It is suggested that it is one of the valuable cups that were stolen from Clonmacnois, in the year 1125, by a Limerick Dane, who was captured and hanged the following year.
According to tradition, mass used to be said in the Rath where
the discovery was made, in the penal times. The chalice may have been used
on these occasions to distribute communion to the multitude that assembled
there. Perhaps when the alarm was raised to signify the approach of soldiers,
and in the hurry of the moment, the chalice was hidden to prevent it from
falling into the wrong hands. This would be supported by the condition in
which the items were found, with neither case nor covering to protect them,
suggesting that they were buried in a hurry. The person who placed them in
the earth (Begley hinted that it might have been a Fr Bermingham, as he had
to leave the area in a rush due to an alleged assault) may never have had
an opportunity of returning to the place to retrieve them.
Fr James Corbett PP completed the present day church in Ardagh in 1814. Prior to the building of this church a mass house in the village near where Aherne's petrol pumps stood, served as a place of worship. Incidentally, Fr Corbett was one of the priests ordained in the early years of the newly founded Maynooth College. On the 2 April 1813 James Corbett P.P. of Ardagh obtained from Maurice Studdert of Elm Hill the free site of the present church and a subscription of £10.00 to the building fund. The neighbouring Protestant gentlemen followed his good example. The building was completed before the end of 1814. The church is named after the patron saint of the parish, St Molua. It was extensively renovated in the 20th century.
In the porch of the church there is a stained glass window of the Baptism of Our Lord. Over the main door of the church there is a picture of Pope John Paul II. To the left of the altar there is a picture of Blessed Oliver Plunkett and a statue of Sacred Heart.
Behind the main altar, which is made from marble, there is a large crucifix. To the right of the altar there is a statue of the Mother & Child and a picture of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour. In the right aisle there is a plaque to Fr Maurice Cremin, which was erected by his fellow priests of Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Buried within the church is:
Died October 26 1887,
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Very Rev. John Connors
Died April 13th 1984
Very Rev. Daniel Costello
Died 20th March 1973
Rev. John Wilmott C.C.
Died 6th August 1952
Rev. John Sheahan
Died November 28th 1902
Rev. Michael O'hAodha
Died June 16th 1934
Rev. John Hallinan
P.P. for 14 years
Died 6th May 1917
Rev. John Canon Reeves
Died 29th December 1929
Very Rev. P. Ruddle
Died 21st December 1958
Canon James Liston PP
Parish Priest 1934-1945
Died March 15 1945, aged 81
St Mary's Church, Carrickerry, was built in 1878 on a site donated by the Stack Family and with the help of a generous gift of £800.00 from the local landlord Mr McNamara. It was dedicated to St Mary. Due to legalities, a deed had to be written up. A copy of this deed, in the possession of Fr Dan Lane PP, tells us that the area of the site was one rood and twelve perches. The legal rent stated on the deed was one penny sterling annually. The composition of the soil demanded that the foundations, which were laid on pitch pine planks, had to be twelve feet deep.
The very beautiful cut stone building was erected with material drawn from Moig Quarry near Shanagolden. Horse and cart using voluntary labour drew all the stone. In the early years people worshipped on a gravelled floor. The workmen who built the church were Michael O'Brady, Tommy Barrett, Bill Taylor, Ned Dalton, Tom Hannafin, Dan Aherne, Denis Hayes, and Bill Dalton.
The windows in the church are all plain. There is a statue to Sacred Heart on the left of the church while there is a statue to Mary on the right of the altar.
Fr Sheehan, who was parish priest in 1895, donated the Stations of the Cross and is also credited with laying the first floor in the church. The erection of the gallery and the installation of the seats took place under Fr. Reeves who was parish priest in 1916. The church was completely renovated, blessed and re-opened on August 21, 1987. A marble altar, chair, lectern, tabernacle, pedestal, and credence table were installed on October 14th 1989, with sincere thanks to the Oblate Fathers, Dublin for donating the marble for the altar and to the parishioners of Ardagh/Carrickerry for their generosity. Many other improvements have been made to the church since then and today the building is still one of the finest cut stone buildings in the diocese. St Mary's church is now a listed building.
One feature of particular interest in the parish today involves both churches. Radio transmitters have been placed in both churches and each week mass is broadcast for those that are housebound but still want to partake in the parish mass. The parish also donated the radio receivers to those to whom the scheme applied.
The ruins of the old church in Ardagh cemetery date to about the fifteenth century. According to Samuel Lewis, the church was destroyed during the 1641 insurrection. The exact dimensions of the church are not known but Begley says
"It measures about 20 feet in breadth, but its length cannot be well determined, as the western gable has entirely disappeared. Judging, however, from what remains, it was considerable, as 72 feet of the south wall remains."
Westropp mentions a church in Kilscannell townland. Kilscannell was originally a separate parish. According to Westropp the ruined Church of Ireland church was built on the site in 1822. Today a graveyard surrounds the ruin.
Westropp also mentions a church site in Kilmurry or Coolanoran. A church stood in ruins on the site in 1839. This church was later demolished to build a house.
Westropp also lists a church called Kilfiachna. According to him, St Fiachna had a cell here at Kilardan, which may in fact have been Killard townland at the south edge of the parish.
There is also a Church of Ireland church ruin in Rathronan.
However, prior to the Reformation this church was Roman Catholic.
There are three cemeteries in the parish, Rathronan, Kilscannell and Ardagh graveyard. Ardagh graveyard is located behind Ardagh church. An altar was built at the upper end of the graveyard adjoining the church in Ardagh as part of a FÁS scheme. Mass is said here in November.
The oldest headstone in the graveyard marks the grave of a
former Bishop of Limerick, the Rt. Rev. Robert De Lacy. Bishop Lacy was made
a bishop by Pope Clement XII in 1737 and died on August 4th 1759. Bishop Lacy
is buried in the family vault, which is actually inside the old church ruins.
Around Kilscannel church, there is a graveyard where there are a number of Roman Catholics buried. The oldest headstone that we found was to the memory of Thomas Fitzgerald who died on February 3rd 1795 aged 28.
The graveyard in Rathronan is a Protestant graveyard. In the graveyard there are two large tombs to Eyre Massy of Glenville and William Smith O'Brien. Smith O'Brien was the Member of Parliament for Limerick in the 19th century. The oldest headstone that we found was in memory of Richard Dunscombe Allenne who died on March 18 1847 aged 57. Kilscannell has 44 headstones marking Catholic graves.
According to Westropp, there was a 'Kyle' burial ground in
Kilmurry of Coolamora.
St Molua's Well
Just beyond the cemetery and within a couple of hundred yards of the parish church is the blessed well dedicated to St. Molua, patron saint of Ardagh. This well is one of three wells dedicated to the saint, the others being in the townland of Emlygrennan in the parish of Bulgaden/Martinstown in east Limerick, and in Rathronan within the parish. Up to about eighty years ago, rounds were paid to this well on the 3rd of August, the eve of St Molua's feast day.
In The Weekly Observer in Newcastle on Aug 5th 1916, the following passage was written about St. Molua's Well: " and doing on the occasion and sports will be held. After the devotions, there will be exhibitions in hurling and football, footracing and Irish stepdancing. The Newcastle West and Castlemahon bands will attend."
The feast day itself (August 4th) was observed as a parish
holiday. A very large ash tree once stood by the well but has long since disappeared.
One parishioner, a Mrs. Flynn, claims to have had her sight restored at the
blessed well many years ago. At the moment no set tradition is in place regarding
devotions at the well but suggestions to re-establish devotions there have
been put forward and the idea is receiving much attention at present.
Ballyine Mass Rock
In 1954 (Marian Year) the local people came together and erected on the hillside in Ballyine a beautiful Shrine to Our Lady. The Shrine stands on the spot where mass was celebrated during penal times. It was a remarkable community effort spread over many months and culminating in the lifting onto its pedestal of the life-sized statue of the Blessed Virgin. Up to two thousand people are reported to have climbed the steep hillside on August 15 for the celebration of mass at the newly constructed Shrine.
The shrine and mass rock at Ballyine are now a place of pilgrimage. Each year mass is celebrated at the rock in recognition of, and thanksgiving for the heroism of our forefathers.
The Limerick Leader Newspaper August 21 1954 had the following report on the blessing of the Shrine:
"Our forefathers held steadfastly to the Faith with courage and determination and handed it down to us bright and unsullied", declared the Rev Fr. Ruddle, PP Ardagh on Sunday last when he addressed a huge gathering of parishioners and visitors on the hillside of Ballyine in the West Limerick parish of Ardagh/ Carrickerry.'
On 25th July 99 the annual mass at the mass rock was said as a mass of preparation for the upcoming millennium celebrations. The mass was well attended on this lovely July day. A tree, representative of the youth in the parish, was planted by four local youths at the end of the mass. A rock, representative of the church was laid beside the tree.
Back to Top
There is also a grotto in the village of Carrickerry.
St Molua, to whom the parish church is dedicated, was born in Ardagh of the Ruling Sept of Corca Oice in 554 AD. His father, Carthach, was a member of the Uí Fidhgheinte from East Limerick, and came from a distinguished family. His mother Socla was a native of Ossory. Even in his childhood days, his great holiness was notable. Molua spent his youth herding cattle and once his father found him asleep in a field with an angel watching over him. On a visit to Munster, Comhghall, Abbot of Bangor, became acquainted with Molua, whom he took to Bangor. When Molua came of age he decided to study for the religious life.
It is claimed that Molua could lay down in the sea and remain untouched by the water. Sometime after his ordination and installation as Comgall's confessor, Molua returned to found many monasteries including one at Ardagh. He also founded monasteries in Laois, and in Monaghan. Molua's motto was "A little here and a little there!" Molua performed most of his miracles on the sick. Once, on seeking the release of a prisoner from a high king, he turned corn-seed into gold but when the prisoner was freed the corn-seed returned to its normal state.
The ruins of the church in the present cemetery stand on the site of Molua's church and monastery. In Ardagh, his sixth century monastic settlement was facilitated by a grant of lands from the local king. St Molua's monastery was the site of a monastic bishopric until after 1100AD when the Irish Dioceses were reorganised. Ardagh then became a rural deanery. St Molua himself died in 623, but his monastic buildings probably survived until the wars between Dal gCais and Ui Fidhgeinte in 1178.
Molua was said to have been an incredibly devout and religious saint. Begley tells us that he wrote a rule for the guidance of his disciples. On presentation to St Gregory the Great, the latter exclaimed publicly "The Saint who composed this rule hath drawn a hedge round his family which reaches to heaven".
Although this rule has been lost, we are informed that it divided the day into thirds: one devoted to prayer, one to reading or study and the third to manual labour.
The saint died someplace in the bog between Roscrea and Clonfert in the year 608. His nearest companion Stellan administered the last sacraments to him. It is claimed that no saint ever got as glorious a welcome in heaven as Molua. Where he should be buried became a bone of contention between his followers in Munster and those in Leinster where his first monastic settlement had been established. Eventually it was decided that the saint would be buried in Leinster.
Various miracles have been attributed to Saint Molua. One of the more noteworthy of these involved St Munchin. It is said that as Molua lay in state, Munchin visited his coffin and after touching it regained the sight in one of his eyes, which he had previously lost.
Bishop De Lacy
Dr. Robert De Lacy was born in Dromadda, in the Parish of Athea. A brilliant student, he became President of the Irish College in Bordeaux before being appointed Bishop of Limerick in 1738.
His memory is preserved in the neighbouring town of Newcastle West, where the street on which he resided, is to this day known as 'Bishop Street'. He died in Limerick in 1759. By his own wishes he was interred in the tomb of his ancestors in Ardagh. The ancient roadway along which his funeral cortege passed on its way to the Village is still known as 'Bothar an Easpaig' [the bishop's roadway].
Dr Young, Bishop of Limerick later erected, at his own expense, a massive slab over the prelate's grave with the following inscription:
"Beneath this stone are deposited the mortal remains of the Rt. Revd. Robert De Lacy, who was R.C.B. of Limerick for 21½ years. He departed this life August 4th 1759. R.I.P."
It is recorded that in 1774 Dr John De Lacy S.T.D., P.P. Ballingarry,
Notary Apostolic and cousin of Bishop Robert, was buried at Ardagh in the
family vault. In the 1870's a very ancient and inscribed vault was found at
the foot of Dr Lacy's tomb. It was assumed from its position to belong to
the Lacy's. When it was opened, two skeletons were found in it facing west.
With this orientation they were undoubtedly priests. Dr Butler, then Bishop
of Limerick, came especially to Ardagh to inspect the remains. He suggested
that a memorial should be erected to commemorate the dead priests. Over 100
years later the site is still not marked save for a rough slab of concrete.
Cahermoyle or Caher Maothail translates as 'the stone fort of the soft ground'. About 1/3 of the circular stone wall of the 'Caher', probably dating back two thousand years still survives one hundred yards west of the house.
Cahermoyle fell to the Norman Fitzgeralds shortly after 1170. After the Desmond rebellion came to an end with the death of Gerald the rebel Earl in 1583, all of Gerald's lands were forfeited to Queen Elizabeth with one exception. Cahermoyle escaped because it was part of the dowry of Catherine, daughter of Earl Gerald. She married Sir Daniel O'Brien of Carrigaholt, Co Clare.
Following the fall of Limerick to the Cromwellians in 1651, John Bourke, a leading wealthy merchant rented Cahermoyle. He was MP for Askeaton in the Parliament of James the Second. He died here in 1702 and is buried in the Bourke vault, beside Bishop Lacy's grave, at Ardagh.
The famous poet Dáibhí O'Bruadair was a regular visitor at Cahermoyle at this time. He refers to the house in which John Bourke lived as 'the lime white mansion of the chieftain bounteous'.
In the late 1700s Sir Edward O'Brien of Dromoland got into financial difficulties and failed to meet the payments on the mortgaged lands of Cahermoyle and Dromoland. On a visit to Cahermoyle, where the money-lending attorney Bill Smith was in residence, Edward met Smith's eldest daughter Charlotte, and at a fairly obvious hint from the wily attorney he proposed to Charlotte and was accepted. The marriage took place at Cahermoyle on November 12th 1799. At the wedding meal Smith announced he had a gift for the happy couple, whereupon he withdrew some papers from an inside pocket and consigned them to the fire. The mortgages of both Cahermoyle and Dromoland went up in flames. Thus for the second time a dowry had saved Cahermoyle for the O'Briens.
William Smith O'Brien inherited Cahermoyle from his mother Charlotte. He was MP for over 20 years at Westminster fighting the Irish cause. Having become disillusioned with the parliamentary process, William took up arms for the cause. Defeated at Ballingarry, arrested, convicted of treason, and sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered, he had his sentence commuted to penal servitude for life. He was pardoned in 1856 and returned to Cahermoyle.
He had expected to regain possession of the house and lands, which he placed 'in trust' for his wife and eldest son Edward, before the debacle of Ballingarry. However, his son did not appreciate his nationalist aspirations and he never regained Cahermoyle. He did live there until his wife's death but then moved to Bangor in Wales where he himself died in 1864. His body was brought back to Ireland for burial.
The mail boat bringing his remains docked at the North Wall at 3.30 a.m. but even at that hour of the morning the quays were lined by those who appreciated the battle he had fought and the price he had paid for his patriotism. All the way to Kingsbridge the thousands lined the streets. From Limerick Station to his beloved Cahermoyle William was borne by hearse drawn by four white horses. Next day twenty-four Catholic and twelve Protestant clergymen led the cortege to Rathronan cemetery where William's mortal remains were laid to rest. At one point the cortege was two miles long stretching all the way from Rathronan back to Cahermoyle.
In 1922 Cahermoyle was acquired by the Oblate Order and became a novitiate. Local people recall as many as thirty young Oblate Students based here during the 1950's. They were a familiar sight on Sunday evenings on their walk to places like the waterfall at Glenastar. The Oblate Fathers later added an extra twenty rooms to the house as well as a refectory and community rooms. They ran a model farm that made them self-sufficient. It was with the greatest regret that the local community heard the news that falling vocations would force the Fathers to leave Cahermoyle. The farm was sold in a number of separate lots and Cahermoyle House became a nursing and convalescent home.
The Oblate Fathers keep a little connection with their roots
in Cahermoyle by returning each summer for a celebration of mass with their
many friends in Ardagh and the surrounding parishes. Fr Mahon, a retired Oblate
priest resides in Cahermoyle and provides spiritual support to all the residents.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Ardvone||An Árdmhóin||The high bogland|
|Ballynabearna||Baile na Bearna||The town of the gap|
|Ballyduane||Baile Uí Dhubháin||The town of Ó Dubháin|
|Ballyine||Baile Uí Eidhnigh||The town of Ó hÉidhnigh|
|Ballylin||Baile Uí Fhloinn||The town of Ó Floinn|
|Ballinloughnaan||Baile Uí Lachnáin||The town of Ó Lachnáin|
|Ballymorrisheen||Baile Mhuirisín||The town of Muirisín|
|Ballynacally||Baile na Caillí||The town of the nun|
|Ballyrobin||Baile Roibín||The town of Roibín|
|Ballyvoghan||Baile Uí Bhuacháin||The town of Ó Buacháin|
|Cahermoyle||Cathair Maothail||Stone fort of the soft ground|
|Carrickerry||Carraig Chiarraí||The rock of Kerry|
|Coolacokery||Cúil an Chócaire||The corner of the cook|
|Coolanoran||Cúil an Fhuaráin||The corner of the spring|
|Cross||An Chrois||The cross|
|Coolcronoge||Cúil Chrannóige||The corner of the wooden structure|
|Dromrahnee||Drom Raithní||Ridge of bracken|
|Dunganville Lower||Dún gConmhaoile||The fort of Cú Maoile|
|Dunganville Upper||as above|
|Farranatlaba||Fearann An tSlabaigh||The land of An Slabhach|
|Glenastar||Gleann Eas Dáire||The glen of the waterfall of the Dáir|
|Glensharrold||Gleann Searúill||The glen of Searúll|
|Glenville||Ráth Rónáin||The rath of Rónán|
|Gortnaglogh||Gort na gCloch||The field of the stones|
|Kerrykyle||Ceithre Coill||Four woods|
|Killard||Cill Ard||High church|
|Kilreash||Cill Réis||Meaning uncertain|
|Kilrodane||Cill Rodáin||The church of Rodán|
|Kilscannel||Cill Scannail||The church of Scannal|
|Knocknaboha||Cnoc na Boithe||The hill of the tent|
|Knocknagaul||Cnoc na gGall||The hill of the standing stones|
|Liskillen (Dickson)||Lios Cillín||Enclosure of the small church|
|Liskillen (O’Brien)||as above|
|Ministerland||Fearann an Mhinitéaraigh||The land of An Minitéarach|
|Monashinnagh||Móin na Sionnach||The bogland of the Foxes|
|Old Mill||Sean Mhuilleann||The Old Mill|
|Rathreagh More||An Ráth Riabhach Mhór||The streaked rath|
|Reerasta North||Riaráiste||The rearage (arrears)|
|Reerasta South||as above|
|Reens West||Roighne Thiar||Meaning uncertain|
|Rooskagh East||Rúscach||Marshy place|
|Rooskagh West||as above|
|Skehanagh||An Sceachánach||The place of the hawthorns|
|1704 - ?||Paul Creagh|
|? - 1721||John O’Connor|
|? - 1736||Christopher Bermingham|
|1736 - 1755||Daniel Rourke|
|1755 - 1764||William Hourigan|
|? - ?||John Walsh|
|1796 - 1799||George De Lacy|
|1799 - 1817||James Corbet|
|1817 – 1836||Patrick Murray|
|1837||Patrick Murray||Maurice Ahern|
|1838||Patrick Murray||Maurice Ahern|
|1839||Patrick Murray||Maurice Ahern|
|1840||Patrick Murray||Maurice Ahern|
|1841||Patrick Murray||Maurice Ahern|
|1842||Daniel McCoy||Maurice Ahern|
|1843||Daniel McCoy||John Bourke|
|1844||Daniel McCoy||Robert Mulcahy|
|1845||Daniel McCoy||Robert Mulcahy|
|1846||Daniel McCoy||Robert Mulcahy|
|1847||Daniel McCoy||Richard Mulcahy|
|1848||Charles McDonnell||Daniel Leahy|
|1849||Charles McDonnell||Daniel Leahy|
|1850||Charles McDonnell||Daniel Leahy|
|1851||Charles McDonnell||William Toumy|
|1852||Charles McDonnell||Daniel Leahy|
|1853||Richard Lysten||Daniel Leahy|
|1854||Richard Lysten||James Hogan|
|1855||Richard Lysten||James Hogan|
|1856||Richard Lysten||James Hogan|
|1857||Richard Lysten||James Hogan|
|1858||Richard Lysten||John Kelly|
|1859||Richard Lysten||John Kelly|
|1860||Richard Lysten||John Kelly|
|1861||Richard Lysten||Michael Walsh|
|1862||Richard Lysten||C. McCarthy|
|1863||Richard Lysten||John Reeves|
|1864||D. O’Connor D.D.||John Reeves|
|1865||D. O’Connor D.D.||John Reeves|
|1866||D. O’Connor D.D.||Thomas Nolan|
|1867||D. O’Connor D.D.||James H. Roche|
|1868||D. O'Connor D.D.||Daniel Ryan|
|1869||D. O’Connor D.D.||James Glesson|
|1870||D. O’Connor D.D.||James Glesson|
|1871||D. O’Connor D.D.||James Glesson|
|1872||Michael Maher||James Glesson|
|1873||Michael Maher||James Glesson|
|1874||Michael Maher||Michael Byrne|
|1875||Michael Maher||Michael Byrne|
|1876||Michael Maher||Michael Byrne|
|1877||Michael Maher||Michael Byrne|
|1878||Michael Maher||Michael Byrne|
|1879||Michael Maher||Michael Byrne|
|1880||Michael Maher||Daniel Daly|
|1881||Michael Maher||Edmond Treacy|
|1882||John Walsh||M. McCoy|
|1883||John Walsh||M. McCoy|
|1884||John Walsh||Patrick O’Donnell|
|1885||John Walsh||Maurice Leahy|
|1886||John Walsh||Maurice Leahy|
|1887||John Walsh||Robert Ambrose|
|1888||John Walsh||Robert Ambrose|
|1889||John Walsh||Robert Ambrose|
|1890||John Walsh||Robert Ambrose|
|1891||John Walsh||Robert Ambrose|
|1892||John Walsh||George Culhane|
|1893||John Walsh||Edmund O’Leary|
|1894||John Walsh||Edmund O’Leary|
|1895||John Walsh||Edmund O’Leary|
|1896||John Walsh||Edmund O’Leary|
|1897||John Walsh||Michael Mulcahy|
|1898||John Walsh||Michael Mulcahy|
|1899||John Walsh||Michael Mulcahy|
|1900||John Walsh||Michael Mulcahy|
|1901||John P. Sheahan||William Fenton|
|1902||John P. Sheahan||William Fenton|
|1903||John P. Sheahan||William Fenton|
|1904||John Hallinan||William Fenton|
|1905||John Hallinan||John O’Connor|
|1906||John Hallinan||James Carroll|
|1907||John Hallinan||James Carroll|
|1908||John Hallinan||James Carroll|
|1909||John Hallinan||David Riordan|
|1910||John Hallinan||David Riordan|
|1911||John Hallinan||David Riordan|
|1912||John Hallinan||John Molony|
|1913||John Hallinan||John Molony|
|1914||John Hallinan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1915||John Hallinan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1916||John Hallinan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1917||John Reeves||Stephen O’Dea|
|1918||John Reeves||Stephen O’Dea|
|1919||John Reeves||Stephen O’Dea|
|1920||John Reeves||Maurice Fitzpatrick|
|1921||John Reeves||Maurice Fitzpatrick|
|1922||John Reeves||James Carroll|
|1923||John Reeves||John Moloney|
|1924||John Reeves||John Moloney|
|1925||John Reeves||John Moloney|
|1926||John Reeves||John Moloney|
|1927||John Reeves||William O’Grady|
|1928||John Reeves||James Lyons|
|1929||Canon John Reeves||John Carroll|
|1930||Canon John Reeves||John Carroll|
|1931||Miceal O h-Aodha||John Carroll|
|1932||Miceal O h-Aodha||John Carroll|
|1933||Miceal O h-Aodha||John Carroll|
|1934||Miceal O h-Aodha||John Carroll|
|1935||James Liston||John Carroll|
|1936||James Liston||John Carroll|
|1937||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1938||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1939||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1940||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1941||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1942||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1943||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1944||James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1945||Canon James Liston||John Wilmot|
|1947||Patrick Ruddle||John Wilmot|
|1948||Patrick Ruddle||John Wilmot|
|1949||Patrick Ruddle||John Wilmot|
|1950||Patrick Ruddle||John Wilmot|
|1951||Patrick Ruddle||John Wilmot|
|1952||Patrick Ruddle||John Wilmot|
|1953||Patrick Ruddle||John Fitzgibbon|
|1954||Patrick Ruddle||John Fitzgibbon|
|1955||Patrick Ruddle||John Fitzgibbon|
|1956||Patrick Ruddle||John Fitzgibbon|
|1957||Patrick Ruddle||John Fitzgibbon|
|1958||Patrick Ruddle||John Fitzgibbon|
|1959||Domhnaill Ó Briain||John Fitzgibbon|
|1960||Domhnaill Ó Briain||John Fitzgibbon|
|1961||Domhnaill Ó Briain||John Fitzgibbon|
|1962||Domhnaill Ó Briain||John Fitzgibbon|
|1963||Domhnaill Ó Briain||Michael O’Connor|
|1964||Canon Domhnaill Ó Briain||Michael O’Connor|
|1965||Daniel Costelloe||Michael O’Connor|
|1966||Daniel Costelloe||Michael O’Connor|
|1967||Daniel Costelloe||Michael O’Connor|
|1968||Daniel Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1969||Daniel Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1970||Daniel Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1971||Daniel Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1972||Daniel Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1973||Daniel Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1974||John Connors||William O’Gorman|
|1975||John Connors||William O’Gorman|
|1976||John Connors||William O'Gorman|
|1977||John Connors||William O’Gorman|
|1978||John Connors||William O’Gorman|
|1979||John Connors||William O’Gorman|
|1980||John Connors||William O’Gorman|
|1981||John Connors||William O’Gorman|
|1982||John Connors||Dermot Healy|
|1983||John Connors||Dermot Healy|
|1984||John Connors||Dermot Healy|
|1985||James Power||Dermot Healy|
|1986||James Power||Dermot Healy|
|1987||James Power||Dermot Healy|
|1988||Seamus Power||Dermot Healy|
|1989||James Power||Dermot Healy|
|1990||James Power||Dermot Healy|
|1991||Seamus Power||Dermot Healy|
|1992||Seamus Power||Dermot Healy|
|1993||Seamus Power||Dermot Healy|
|1994||Daniel Lane||Dermot Healy|
|1995||Daniel Lane||Dermot Healy|
|1996||Daniel Lane||Pat McBride|
|1997||Daniel Lane||Pat McBride|
|1998||Daniel Lane||Pat McBride|
|1999||Daniel Lane||Pat McBride|
|2000||Daniel Lane||Patrick McBride|
|2001||Daniel Lane||Patrick McBride||2002||Daniel Lane||Patrick McBride|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design