Break up of parishes
In Medieval Limerick, there were five parishes in Limerick City; St John's,
St Mary's, St Michael's, St Munchin's and St Patrick's.
In recent times, the boundaries of these parishes have been altered to
form the following parishes:
St Mary's was divided into St Mary's and St Nicholas' (1991).
St Michael's was divided into St Michael's, Our Lady of Lourdes (1963),
St Joseph's (1973) and St Saviour's (1973).
St Munchin's was divided into St Munchin's, Our Lady of the Rosary (1964),
Christ the King (1970) and Corpus Christi (1976).
St Patrick's was divided into St Patrick's, Monaleen (1971), and Our Lady
Help of Christians (1981).
St John's parish has not been altered.
St Paul's was formerly part of the parish of Mungret/Crecora and was created
Our Lady Queen of Peace (1961) and Holy Family (1970) were formerly part
of the parish of Donaghmore/Knockea.
St Nicholas' church was between St Mary's Cathedral and King John's
Castle. St Nicholas' was joined with the parish of St Mary's in Fr MacMahon's
time as parish priest in 1741 or thereabouts. The church of St Nicholas
is mentioned in the Black Book of Limerick and was used by sailors and
merchants. It was believed to have been a low roofed church with a parallel
nave and had disappeared by the end of the 17th century.