The Holy Family parish was created in 1970 from an area, which originally formed part of the parish of Donaghmore/Knockea. This area is also known as Southill. The population of the parish is around 5,000.
In Medieval Limerick, there were five parishes in Limerick City; St John's, St Mary's, St Michael's, St Munchin's and St Patrick's.
In recent times, the boundaries of these parishes have been altered to form the following parishes:
St Mary's was divided into St Mary's and St Nicholas' (1991).
St Michael's was divided into St Michael's, Our Lady of Lourdes (1963), St Joseph's (1973) and St Saviour's (1973).
St Munchin's was divided into St Munchin's, Our Lady of the Rosary (1964), Christ the King (1970) and Corpus Christi (1976).
St Patrick's was divided into St Patrick's, Monaleen (1971), and Our Lady Help of Christians (1981).
St John's parish has not been altered.
St Paul's was formerly part of the parish of Mungret/Crecora and was created in 1971.
Our Lady Queen of Peace (1961) and Holy Family (1970) were formerly part of the parish of Donaghmore/Knockea.
The Holy Family parish church was built in 1970 through the generosity of the priests, sisters, teachers and the people of the parish. The building doubled as a community hall until the church was refurbished between 1990 and 1996 under the supervision of the architect Thomas A. Ryan. Outside, to the left of the church, there is a Marian Shrine.
Over the door on the back right-hand side of the church, there is a stained glass window which depicts (from left to right) the soldiers drawing lots for Jesus' robe, Jesus on the Cross and a soldier. This stained glass window was part of the Good Shepherd Sisters convent, Clare St and dates from around 1931. The window was removed from the convent in 1994. A smaller framed stained glass medallion on the right wall depicts St Michael the Archangel.
A plaque on the right door of the church details where various items of the church originally came from. The Carmelite Sisters in Rathmines donated the Stations of the Cross in 1979. They were made around 1840.
To the right of the high altar is the baptismal font, which has an angel on either side. There is a stained glass medallion to the Holy Family behind the baptismal font. In an alcove near the font, there is a shrine to St Anthony.
Further right of the high altar, there is a small chapel of the Blessed Sacrament. Within the chapel there are Stations of the Cross and a shrine to St Joseph.
In the left porch there is a picture of Pope John Paul II.
On the door into the church there are two glass panels on which an angel is
depicted on each panel. On the left-hand side of the church, there is a framed
stained glass of the Finding in the Temple. There is also a stained glass
medallion of the Presentation further along the wall of the church. There
is a shrine to the Immaculate Heart of Our Lady on the left side of the church.
Along the wall there are three more stained glass medallions of the Nativity, the Visitation and the Annunciation. There are seven of these stained glass medallions in total in the church. They were donated by the Christian Brothers School, Sexton St, Limerick. These medallions were made about 1960 and were removed from their monastery in 1993.
The High Altar and Tabernacle were gifts from Thomas & Harriet O'Brien in honour of the Adorable Sacrament. They were presented to the Sisters of Mercy of Bishop St on the feast of the Assumption, 1880. To the right of the altar, there is a Crucifix. The altar, together with the tabernacle and the statues in the church, was presented to the church in 1996.
|1971||Joseph Shinnors||M. Costello|
|1972||Joseph Shinnors||M. Costello|
|1973||Joseph Shinnors||Muiris O’Connor|
|1974||Joseph Shinnors||Muiris O’Connor|
|1975||Joseph Shinnors||Muiris O’Connor|
|1976||Michael J. Neville||Muiris O'Connor|
|1977||Michael J. Neville||Muiris O’Connor|
|1978||Michael J. Neville||Liam Enright|
|Antóin Ó Tuathaigh|
|1979||Brendan Connellan||Antóin Ó Tuathaigh|
|1980||Brendan Connellan||Antóin Ó Tuathaigh|
|1981||Brendan Connellan||Antóin Ó Tuathaigh|
|1982||Brendan Connellan||Antóin Ó Tuathaigh|
|1983||Brendan Connellan||Antóin Ó Tuathaigh|
|1984||Brendan Connellan||Joseph Young|
|1985||Brendan Connellan||Joseph Young|
|1986||Joseph Dempsey||Damian Ryan|
|1987||Joseph Dempsey||Damian Ryan|
|1988||Joseph Dempsey||Damian Ryan|
|1989||Joseph Dempsey||Damian Ryan|
|1990||Anthony O’Keeffe||Damian Ryan|
|1991||Anthony O’Keeffe||Damian Ryan|
|1992||Anthony O’Keeffe||Damian Ryan|
|1993||Anthony O’Keeffe||Damian Ryan|
|1994||Anthony O’Keeffe||Damian Ryan|
|1995||Anthony O’Keeffe||Damian Ryan|
|1996||Anthony O’Keeffe||Joseph Young|
|1997||Anthony O’Keeffe||Joseph Young|
|1998||Thomas Carroll||Joseph Young|
|1999||Thomas Carroll||Joseph Young|
|2000||Thomas Carroll||Joseph Young|
|2001||Thomas Carroll||John Walsh|
|2002||Thomas Carroll||John Walsh|
The list of Priests is compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year, For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design